Trans am powertrain in a tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dubbsix

Reaction score
For the past year i've been working on a 95 Trans am, but since we bought our family SUV i have been thinking about getting a SUV as a project. Is it possible to transplant the LT1/4l60E combo into a tahoe?

If so, what year tahoes came with LT1 engines? or does it matter? please help!

dubbsix

Reaction score
Well I dont know. Thats what im asking. What year will the engine combo fit? I just dont want to sell my engine/tranny which have been race built and then have to start all over on a the tahoe..

96fleetwood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a couple guys on FSC that have done the LT1 swap.

Truck4Sale001.jpg

Truck4Sale007.jpg

The LT1 in the B, D, and F body cars had iron heads. The LT1 in the Corvette had aluminum heads.

I have a LT1 in my '96 Fleetwood, very easy to upgrade. It will be coming out for a ZZ502 swap...

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

I say stick with the Vortec, you can always add some forced induction ;)

dubbsix

Reaction score
I didnt know they made a supercharger for the 5.3 vortec. That could be interesting.

MDTAHOE1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can put it in what ever year you like. With time and money anything can be done as long as you or who ever does it has the skills to do it

dubbsix

Reaction score
You can put it in what ever year you like. With time and money anything can be done as long as you or who ever does it has the skills to do it

Agreed there. I just put all of my money into the lt1 build up for my trans am.. i was hoping to just supplant the engine into a tahoe.. Hmm might just sell the TA and start fresh. I like the mods available for the tahoes.