Trans Filter Replacment. OEM or Aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M.M. 700

Full Access Member
Reaction score
04 Tahoe. I am wanting to change Trans filter. Should I buy and OEM filter or go to an O reilly's/NAPA and get one?

What trans fluid should I out in since it will be mixed with the factory/original fluid??

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try to get OEM when I have the choice. I only pursue aftermarket if it's clear that it's better or the same as OEM.

Owner's manual should have the specs for your transmission fluid.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would just get a oem filter. Comes with the gasket and filter. had my gasket replaced under warrenty and had them throw a filter in it.

LeadFootCole

Reaction score
I don't believe it will make much of a difference. You should get the same results with either. I think on something like a filter its best to go with OEM.

M.M. 700

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I was concered about mixing tranny fluids.

I will just get the OEM filter/fluid

Thanks

u2nv

Reaction score
I would get any filter and you shouldnt need gasket cause they come with a reusable one, just clean it up and wipe it off. fluid mobil 1 mercon v is what i use in mine now was mobil 1 syn atf before the upgraded stuff came out

metro273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This should be a no brainer!
When it comes to something as expensive as your trans, most definitely, it should be OEM! Alot of the time, aftermarkets just don't fit right all of the time! Something to think about...:cool2: