Trans fluid: To change or not to Change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davco

Reaction score
The Tahoe has 120k on it and the transmission fluid has never been changed. The dealership thinks that it might be better to leave the old fluid in it since it has been in there over 75k-100k. He says the new fluid will cause the seals to leak which will cause low fluid levels which will cause slipping which will cause.....well, you get the picture.

I remember hearing this about the older cars but does it still apply to these?

I guess its kinda like putting new wine in old wine skins?

What do you guys think?

Side note: Do these trucks have timing belts or chains? I'm assuming chains so they don't need to be serviced?!

DRTYH0

Reaction score
As for the Transmission...Dont change it...If its already over 60 dont..My friend said if you still would like to you could but it would have to be a quart a time type deal...Pretty much drain a quart and put a new quart in...Drive for a while then repeat..

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would you say my truck being at 75K i should leave the tranny fluid in or change it all out + filter completly?

EliteTahoe

Reaction score
My logic inside my own head tells me that the oil should'nt be replaced.
The filter should be changed, and the small quantity of oil the filter contents, should be added to the gearbox.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my transmission fluid and filter changed a couple weeks ago and mine has 146k on it and as far as I know it had not been changed in 75 to 100k miles. So far I have not had any problems with it yet.