transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scorpio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, my transfercase is giving me problems. When in 2 wheel drive mode all is fine but when i switch on 4 wheel drive high it sound like a humming grind and if i get off the gas the truck comes to a halt. Now i dont know if its the main bearing as a friend recomended or smthing more but it doesnt sound like anything is broken more like seized. Anyway anyone with knowlege or experience in this please shed some light, hehehe. I have an 03 tahoe Lt 4x4 5.3 autoride with 123k on it and running strong with the recent exeption. Thanx in advance. :thumbsup:

scorpio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i'v had the truck for 2 years and the oil level is up to mark but it hasnt been serviced otherwise

shadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, my transfercase is giving me problems. When in 2 wheel drive mode all is fine but when i switch on 4 wheel drive high it sound like a humming grind and if i get off the gas the truck comes to a halt. Now i dont know if its the main bearing as a friend recomended or smthing more but it doesnt sound like anything is broken more like seized. Anyway anyone with knowlege or experience in this please shed some light, hehehe. I have an 03 tahoe Lt 4x4 5.3 autoride with 123k on it and running strong with the recent exeption. Thanx in advance. :thumbsup:

See below from a Chevy Tech reply I got on clunking on my '00 Tahoe 5.3L -

"I worked as a tech for GMC & Chevy, there's a common problem with the transfer cases that might be causing your clunk. There is a bulletin fingering a retaining clip as the source of an oil leak. What happens is the clip wears out & allows the clutch pack to slop around in the case, eventually wearing a hole through the case & causing the leak. This clip will also cause an annoying clunk noise intermitant from the slop. Get under your truck, in park, engine doesn't have to be running. Grab the front driveshaft at the transfer case & twist it back & forth quickly. If you hear a similar noise, that's the problem. Hopefully you're under warranty. That $2 clip was redesigned to hold better, but the transfer case needs to come out & apart, like a rebuild."

Go to this site - http://www.merchant-automotive.com/

They make a kit to fix this problem. There's also a downloadable PDF file on the rebuild kit and procedure to do it.

Not sure if this is you problem, but if it is, you'll have the info on it.

scorpio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no leaks on tc just that humming sound that seems to slow the truck to a stop but the 4x4 works

shadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no leaks on tc just that humming sound that seems to slow the truck to a stop but the 4x4 works

I would do a fluid change ASAP on the transfer case. Cheap to do yourself, and not very hard.

If you do do it, use ONLY the TRAC II GM transfer case fluid. It's different from other trans fluids and unique to GM transfer cases.

scorpio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i should also mention that i put the truck in a lift and put it on 4x4 it works fine and doesnt make any noise but when on the ground under presure it makes the sound

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you had it on the lift, in 4x4, and accelerated, did the wheels just keep on spinning once you let off the gas? Does 4x4 not mean that all 4 wheels are being driven, therefore also creating more drag once off the accelerator? That might be what's bringing it to a stop. I'd have to play with my 4WD to be sure, but I'd think it would crawl even at idle speed in 4WLo. I'm just trying to help troubleshoot here. I have barely even used my 4WD. When I did, it had more climb, but seemed like it needed the gas more to keep moving.

BH

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove mine tonight, and in 4WLo there's a whining sound, but it does not come to a halt when I let off the gas. It still coasts to a stop, but much sooner than in AWD.

I assume the whine is the front TC engaged. I might even go get my tranny serviced after the holidays. It's go almost 45K on it (2004). Any suggestions on when you should get it checked?

BH

chevybest1

Reaction score
anyone here know what would cause my 05 Z71 to pop out of 2H while driving? all other setting is fine, but on 2H on hiway it goes out of gear or something (car still in drive) have to coast to the shoulder, put it in 4H or something else, then back to 2H and I'm good for a little while. any info is appreciated.

shadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone here know what would cause my 05 Z71 to pop out of 2H while driving? all other setting is fine, but on 2H on hiway it goes out of gear or something (car still in drive) have to coast to the shoulder, put it in 4H or something else, then back to 2H and I'm good for a little while. any info is appreciated.

Sounds like your pushbutton switch has gone bad. New ones are around $50 - $60, depends on who you get it from. Fairly common problem.

Had to replace mine last year ('00 LT 5.3L), truck had about 95K miles on it when it went bad.

Some guys here have had luck removing the switch and resoldering the contacts on the board inside of it.