Transmision is fried?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevs98hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so right now I just dropped my tahoe off at my body shop because I stripped the reverse gear I think.

I was going into reverse and I think I pressed the gas before it got into gear and it stripped it and it doesnt go into reverse any more, ok I said ill just drive home and I will look at it. I get on the road and it doesnt shift from 1st to 2nd when Im accelerating but when in 1st at middle rpms I let go of the gas it shifts into 2nd and so on.

What problem am I looking at? and how the hell do I fix it ? I really dont want a new transmision the damn tahoe only has 73,000 miles on its original engine and transmision.

Thanks you guys.

bowhunter22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've blown your sunshell. It's part of the planetary gear set that gives you 1st 3rd and reverse. Factory ones are notoriously prone to failure. It's a gear pressed into a hub, you'll see when they show it to you when you change it.

look it up on Youtube ; there is a guy that put some trans fix-its on there.

You still have to pull the trans out.

Kevs98hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn dude so you dont think I blew my whole transmision, every one told me I did and I checked some trans shops and they said I did to, I already have another transmision I bought for 500 bucks.

bowhunter22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You blew your trans. !!

I'm saying the sunshell for the planetary failed. When that happened metal filings are littered through out the trans, it needs to taken apart, washed out and cleaned. When you get that far in, the price for upgraded stronger parts is the lesser evil over cheaper stock ones not to mention the shop rate for the tear down and reassembly.

Ok so you got another trans, get it changed and then you can move forward and back, rebuild the one that blew yourself or have the shop rebuild it when they're not busy ( might save some money ) because it will be twice the trans. over the stock one.

yuhoe96

Reaction score
this exact thing happend to me about a year ago i was off roading and i got stuck when i shifted to reverse i heard a snap then i had nothing. I have still been driving it6 everyday with only 1st and third gear. its kind of a pain in the ass but i have gotten used to it. I am very excited my new tranny should be in in about 2 weeks if all goes right! good luck!

yuhoe96

Reaction score
it does not make sense to fix those gears you need s new tranny i have done my research!

Kevs98hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4l80e Its still in the shop now getting installed ill probably have it back tomorrow, im thinking of getting rid of it though. Im doing pretty well for my self and im looking for a sports car m3, challenger its all good in the hood haha.