Transmission issues on '97, Hard shifting, clicking...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotCarl

Reaction score
I have a '97 K1500 4 door Tahoe Automatic. I have been noticing some transmission issues lately.
When I shift from Reverse to Drive, I hear a loud click from under the vehicle, same with shifting from Drive to Reverse. It almost sounds like a hammer hitting a piece of metal.
Also, when I go from a stop, the shift from first to second shifts VERY hard, it jerks the vehicle forward even with very little throttle.

I checked the fluid level, it is normal. What could be causing these problems?

Also, the Tahoe is down right now because as I was driving it yesterday the battery basically failed and it wont charge. I charged it with a trickle charger and it started up but dropped down below 9 volts and wouldn't charge. Battery is 5 years old so I am taking it in today to get tested and hopefully it's not the alternator.

421racing

Reaction score
I have been getting the slamming into gear effect for the past two summers. It seems to happen when its hot and I drive for more than 20 minutes or so...If I shut it off for 3 or 4 minutes, it goes away, but returns and starts slamming into gear again...Asked several mechanics, transmission shops, etc...only answer they give is that i need a new tranny....

Colabella7077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the hard shift slam is normal. from D to R or R to D this is a common thing on all GMs. its to elt the driver know you are engaging from on gear to another! lol. Try greasing your U joints, or changing them out. The rough shift from 1st to 2nd could be anything within the transfer case or trasnmisson but mine does it 3 years now and it is healthy! does it once then afterwards its fine.