Transmission Life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, in the past, and from past experience, it seems like the average transmission life in just about any vehicle built on the GM Full-Size platform (excluding the 2500-3500s, as they have more durable transmissions) is about 100,000-125,000 miles. Thats alot of mileage, but when someone has a 60 mile commute, it is pretty measly. How long do yall think the trannys in these new GMT-900 trucks are going to go? I know someone who had a 99 Land Cruiser that went 315,000 miles. Anyone here think the Chevys will go that long?

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I have to say is if my tranny only lasts to 100K doing regular maintenance....I will never buy a GM product again.

If someone does consistent fluid changes when it is recommended.....I can't see why it wouldn't last to 200K....at least. Heat is the killer of transmissions so a cooler would help anyone who wants a long lasting tranny.

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I have to say is if my tranny only lasts to 100K doing regular maintenance....I will never buy a GM product again.

If someone does consistent fluid changes when it is recommended.....I can't see why it wouldn't last to 200K....at least. Heat is the killer of transmissions so a cooler would help anyone who wants a long lasting tranny.

I think you hit the nail in the head!

Regular Maintance is the Key!!:thumbsup:

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope mine breaks at 99,999.9 so I can get it fixed for free!

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i have about 204,000 miles on my original transmission. I cant say its as smooth as a new tranny, but why would it be. So if im in a 1999 tahoe I can't see why the 07 + would not keep on rolling even farther.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY
In addition, rust-through corrosion will be covered for 6 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first) and powertrain will be covered for 5 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first). See dealer for details.

Question......is Trans considered Powertrain or Drivetrain?
Is there a difference?

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain LIMITED Warranty
In addition to the standard 3-year/36,000-mile (whichever comes first) New Vehicle Limited Warranty, all 2007 Chevy vehicles come with a 5-year/100,000-mile (whichever comes first) Powertrain Limited Warranty that:
A $0 deductible
Is transferable to another owner at no charge
The Powertrain Limited Warranty is in addition to the express conditions and warranties described in the Warranty Booklet. The coverage and benefits described in the booklet under "New Vehicle Limited Warranty" are not extended or altered because of this special Powertrain Limited Warranty.
WHAT IS COVERED
In addition to the bumper-to-bumper coverage described in the Warranty Booklet, General Motors will warranty each 2008 Chevy passenger car, light duty truck or van for 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, from the original in-service date of the vehicle, against warrantable repairs to the powertrain components of the vehicle. The Powertrain Limited Warranty covers repairs to correct any vehicle defect related to materials or workmanship occurring during the 5-year/100,000-mile term for the following:
Engine
Emissions control system components that are identified in the Emission Warranty Parts List within the Warranty Booklet
Cylinder head and block
All internally lubricated parts
Manifolds
Timing gears and timing cover
Timing belt (until the first scheduled maintenance interval)
Flywheel
Oil pump/oil pump housing, water pump and fuel pump
Harmonic balancer
OHC carriers
Valve covers
Oil pan
Engine mount
Seals and gaskets
Turborcharger or supercharger
Transmission/Transaxle
Case
All internal lubricated parts
Torque converter
Transmission/transaxle mounts
Seals
Gaskets
Front-Wheel Drive
Final drive housing
All internal lubricated parts
Axle shafts and axle shaft bearings
Constant velocity joints
Wheel bearings
Supports
Front hub bearings and rear-axle hub bearings
Seals and gaskets
Universal joints
Locking hubs
Front differential actuator

bamachevy89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the factory 100k warranty on my wifes 2007 Tahoe and the 125k, 6 year warranty on my 04 Tahoe and my daughters 03 Yukon Denali. I'm actually hoping that the transmissions quit on the Yukon and 04 Tahoe before 125k so I'll get them replaced for free. I'm planning on driving the wheels off of them!

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see the transfer case listed. Does GM consider it to be part of the tranny?

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would hope for a tranny failure at like 99,000 miles, but with my luck it would be in the middle of the desert somewhere and I would prolly have to use the bathroom really bad. Thats too much drama. I will just hope it will last to 250,000 like the old family Grand Marquis did.

RHOCKHOE07

Reaction score
Scheduled Maintenance

Hey, new to the group here, have 2007 LT3 with 38K miles. Wondering if everyone feels it necessary to change brake and transmission fluid by 38K miles, the fluids past the color tests, but it is recommended at 30K. Let me know.....

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, new to the group here, have 2007 LT3 with 38K miles. Wondering if everyone feels it necessary to change brake and transmission fluid by 38K miles, the fluids past the color tests, but it is recommended at 30K. Let me know.....

I would replace the transmission fluid per the manufacturer recommendations. This could be a sticking point if transmission warranty work needs to be done.

I actually had a transmission leak recently at ~12k miles. Dealer took care of it (replaced a seal) and I drove a 2007 Silverado for the day.