Transmission Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwrstroker00

Reaction score
My wife was driving the Tahoe last night when a transmission cooling line blew. She continued driving it (don't ask why!!!, she has absolutely no mechanical inclination) for a few miles, until she stopped to check it out. Then she tried to drive again but she got no movement out of it. Finally she shut it off.

I had it towed home, where I checked the transmission fluid level. It just barely registered on the dipstick. The fluid still had the nice red color to it and it didn't smell burnt at all.

What do you think the odds are that the transmission is ruined? I was planning on replacing the cooling line and topping off the fluid level, then taking it for a drive to test it. Any other ways to tell if the tranny has a problem from losing fluid?

Thanks,
Matt

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say try it. Depending if it had an extrernal cooler, how hot the tranny got. I say top it off, and try it....

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it actually barely registered on the dipstick, then I would think that you are probably ok and good thing she finally stopped when she did. Fix the hose and top it off and give it a try, you will probably know right away if it is messed up or not!