Transmission Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hydra-Matic 4L65-E 4-speed electronic automatic = 2003 Yukon Denali?

I have been under the impression that I always had a 4L60-E...Im lost

Later in the future when I get the Turbo..(or supercharger)..do I HAVE to switch to the 80-E? or can I build my current trans for the abuse of my lead foot and all that extra power after the F/I install?

JDWX

Reaction score
Basically the same trans, somewhat altered to increase strength of the LS6. Larger intermediate servo, hardened turbine input shafts, extra three-four clutch plate. etc...

Not too big on Denali history, but books I have seem to point to Denali 2004 and up w/6 litre, but I'm told that in 2001 theyre in AWD vehicles.

As for going 4L80, that would be involved, and require a piggyback computer to run it. Lots you can do to a 60 to help things for sure.

I have always been of the opinion the 60 was a lil short on strength for a heavy truck like the taho/yukon/denali. But, they do seem to hang tough for the most part. Seen lotsa failures tho...