Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burban23

Reaction score
I dont know enough about the transmission on my 2002 suburban to know if the dealership is lying to me this time or not. I had the tranny rebuilt by the dealership for $2800.00 at 90,000 miles, warranty is good till 190,000. the tranny slips on occasion from a dead stop and now the dealership is claiming to resolve this problem i need a "driveablility update " is this b.s. ?

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I belive what they meen is that your tcm ( transmission control module ) needs to be re-programed. These transmissons are electronicly controlled by a tcm. i know that mine is but im not 100% sure about the 02 models. So this is not b.s and it may cure it. Should have been done and may have been done when your trans was rebuilt, but gm may have had a update in software since then.

Burban23

Reaction score
thanks for the help..would this update cost 150 bucks and all of a sudden the software would just go bad ? At this point im trying my best to have the stealership cover it under warranty

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The software wont go bad, it will have improved software. I work for volvo and they have updated software come out every so often. Cant really set a date or time on it, they just find things that will help out certain issues. you will need to see if this is the situation adn to see if the dealer did this when the trans was re-built. Also, how lng ago was it that the trans was rebuilt. Shops will only honor a warrenty for a ertain amount if time and mileage, usally 1 year or 12k miles.I'm not going to get into the whole "stealership" thing right now, i've been having conversations on another post defending dealers.

Burban23

Reaction score
the only reason i used the term was because they lubed my intermediate shaft and charged me for a replacement then apologized for the mistake a year later when i brought the car back in

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$2800!!!!! Mine has a warranty and paid $1500, installed, with corvette servo and firmer shifts. (more pressure)

to then again ask you for an additional $150, is bull, and a rip...you were already ripped for paying $2800, IMHO.

I'd demand a free 'update' to get the tranny to work, like it should.

Burban23

Reaction score
i contacted the general manager and he is now " seeing what he can do " he better fix my shaft that is still knocking and correct the transmission problem. Oh and btw cant forget the thousand dollars i was charged to replace the fuel pump

Last edited:

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2800 a rip off? you have to remember that they are charging for the diagnosis, remove trans, take apart and rebuild, then to re-install trans, and then parts. 2800 sounds pretty good to me espically for a dealer. I can understand that being a rip off if you were to take it to ammco. Maybe im just used to the prices in cali, cause these prices your telling me seem very resonable to me.

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
holy smokes...this is where the term 'stealership' comes from. Hope it works out for you...demand it, or tell them you'll turn them in to the BBB...that's stupid. The computer (even though the tranny is computer controlled) didn't know it's software was outdated...to me sounds like a part that should have been replaced/updated at time of rebuild. Which should last the duration of the warranty, and beyond....

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine was taken out, rebuilt, installed, warranty...$1500.
Diagnosis was easy...........slipped in all forward gears.

Burban23

Reaction score
i drove it in.. when the car had had absolutely no reverse gear and would only shift into second when you let off the gas. thanks polecat for seeing eye to eye with me

p.s. dealership is claiming " update " was released a couple months after my transmission was done

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only reason i used the term was because they lubed my intermediate shaft and charged me for a replacement then apologized for the mistake a year later when i brought the car back in

Sometimes unfortunalty, this type of thing happen. So they charged you for the part itself, and diddnt put it in. People make mistakes. If they were perfect, im sure they wouldnt be wrenching on cars. but enought bout that. I think you may need to get all the facts about the trans replacment and the issue you are having with the trans. If things dont work out the way you want them to, then contact the service manager and talk it over with him. Thats my recomendation.

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tell him 'update' should be lifetime of at LEAST the warranty period you paid for. Amazing they sell you "the computer needs updating...", how would it know it's "out of date". :D

Burban23

Reaction score
better yet. i said if its this hard to get warranty after the first 10,000 miles if the transmission slips after 20,000 miles will they say another update has been released ?

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i drove it in.. when the car had had absolutely no reverse gear and would only shift into second when you let off the gas. thanks polecat for seeing eye to eye with me

p.s. dealership is claiming " update " was released a couple months after my transmission was done

Check on your original repair order and read to see if there is anything bout the tcm being reprogrammed. I can see the update coming out afterwards, but they should meet you half way with the repairs. Was this the same dealer that forgot to put your int. shaft in? If so use this as leverage and you can probably get the update out of them for the cost of the software only

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check on your original repair order and read to see if there is anything bout the tcm being reprogrammed. I can see the update coming out afterwards, but they should meet you half way with the repairs. Was this the same dealer that forgot to put your int. shaft in? If so use this as leverage and you can probably get the update out of them for the cost of the software only
let me ask. One, why should he meet them halfway on anything that has a warranty. Two, how does the computer quit all the sudden, thinking it needs updated?

If they forgot the input shaft during this $2800 rebuild, all they are doing now is moving the shaft, to the backside.:zav:

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tell him 'update' should be lifetime of at LEAST the warranty period you paid for. Amazing they sell you "the computer needs updating...", how would it know it's "out of date". :D

Well, warrenty is only covered for the parts that were replaced or repaired. This will not cover the everything that goes with the transmission. Like the wiring, tcm, updates. If the update was done at the time of the trans replacment, then yes the update should be covered. But the 100,000 additional warrenty is problably only for the parts that were replaced in the trans.

Burban23

Reaction score
yes i have dealt with the same dealer all along. and now as im starting to become educated on my truck im learning what a mistake it has been. And i still dont follow how all of a sudden the computer would become out-of-date and stop shifting correctly from a stop

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TCM, controlls transmission....tranny fails, without TCM.

So your saying he was 'shafted' because a tranny rebuild, may not include all tranny parts...those parts are extra? Nice. Money well spent.

Tranny warranty should read, if truck does not move or drive, becasue of faulty tranny, whether be tranny, torque converter, TCM, cooler,etc...it will be replaced as long as the warranty states.

when you put your trust into a dealership ASE certified mechanic, you'd hope it was all rebuilt, and you get what you paid for.

Anyone agree?