Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i have dealt with the same dealer all along. and now as im starting to become educated on my truck im learning what a mistake it has been. And i still dont follow how all of a sudden the computer would become out-of-date and stop shifting correctly from a stop

This is my opinion on how there are "updates" for the computer. For instance, say the transmission will jerk in and out of gear at highway speeds, gm could release a updated software for the tcm to help control that. So, what the dealer is telling you, is that tcm update was avaible after the trans was re-built. It's gm that has this update avaible. If the dealer was to replace or re-build your trans under warrenty, and gm recived the core or the failed parts and found nothing wrong, then they can audit and see if the upgrade had been performed.If they see that the upgrade had not been done, then the entire claim would be kicked back on the dealer. If you dont trust the dealers recomendation, then take it to another dealer and see what they say. Or you can have your trans rebuilt again by another shop, then if your problem persist you can take it to the dealer and have them upgrade your tcm then. If this does not help you understand, then im sorry. If i can help you out with any other info, let me know

Burban23

Reaction score
i appreciate the thorough explanation however i strongly disagree with the dealerships suggestion of updating the tcm

STony G

Reaction score
2002 Tranmission life

I am looking at buying a 2002 Tahoe. The owner stated he has recently replaced the transmission at 100k miles. The truck currently has 108k.

My question: is the transmission going to be an on going concern for me?

lovemytaho

Reaction score
HI I don't know how to post new thread I hope some one will help me I have 2002 Tahoe rear wheel drive I service trans oil and filter three month ago even I service deff oil too , today 04/20/14 I was backing the truck in to my parking garage sudden something locked and truck stops I put the shifter to D is ok I put back to R Trans didn't engage or was engaging but didn't go back I was accelerating seems something was holding the truck I try many time till start going back this is first time happens please any advice?

lovemytaho

Reaction score
I hope some one will help me I have 2002 Tahoe rear wheel drive I service trans oil and filter three month ago even I service deff oil too , today 04/20/14 I was backing the truck in to my parking garage sudden something locked and truck stops I put the shifter to D is ok I put back to R Trans didn't engage or was engaging but didn't go back I was accelerating seems something was holding the truck I try many time till start going back this is first time happens please any advice?

Last edited:

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you remove the diff cover to drain the rear diff oil.. if so make sure you put the cover on the correct way make sure that the part that sticks out on the cover is on the left side also did what kind od diff oil did you put in it has to be a synthetic blend with a limited slip additive

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO dealers are not so much as a rip off I just think they are expensive for what they charge. earlier post says he paid $1k for fuel pump? wow my shop charges about $650 for that. and im in California... My shops normal rate is $98 and most dealers in my area in san diego are about $110- $120 /hr. And for the update. There are a lot of vehicles that we see especially Toyota has a lot of updates for their vehicles that we find because they fail smog tests with the check engine light on. Nothing is wrong with the car but the pcm needs an update. Now this is unforeseen stuff especially with CAN vehicles, its basically like updates for your phone. You don't know when it will be released to you but if enough people have the same problem then they will release an update as needed to fix any issue. It helps so they don't have to issue recalls.