Trouble Filling tank and I am not talking about the price.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lzyellodog

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here and I have a question. Has anybody ever experienced trouble filling their gas tanks? It started about a month ago on trip to Vt. On the way home I stopped to fill her up and I could not get the pump to pump when wide open. I could only get fuel in if I squeezed the handle slightly. It takes about 20 minutes to fill her at that rate. A real pain in the A$$ specially starring at 429/gallon price. I looked at the filler tube and can not see anything. By the way I also get a large evap code once in awhile and once in awhile I get tighten fuel cap displayed on the dash. Any clue what I should be looking for?

Much appreciated. I do not drive her much but when I do she ussually need gas.

Sorry i posted this in the wrong section.

Last edited:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, wrong year section ;) You can move it via the thread tools menu above your post to the proper year section. You'll probably get more helpful answers over there.

lzyellodog

Reaction score
Yep, wrong year section ;) You can move it via the thread tools menu above your post to the proper year section. You'll probably get more helpful answers over there.

Thanks I just moved it.

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, all that points to the EVAP system: if you have a problem with the EVAP system it could give you trouble with the gas pump.

ZX1100F1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than an obstruction in the filler tube the likely cause of the premature fuel pump shut-off is the particular gas stations pressure and variation in OPW 11B fuel nozzle, try a different station and see what happens.

What EVAP fault code are you getting?

lzyellodog

Reaction score
Other than an obstruction in the filler tube the likely cause of the premature fuel pump shut-off is the particular gas stations pressure and variation in OPW 11B fuel nozzle, try a different station and see what happens.

What EVAP fault code are you getting?

Thanks for the reply. The code is 455. Large EVap Leak. I have tried several gas stations and they all do it. I did notice today that the new gas cap I bought does not seem to fit properly. So maybe that is threwing the code. But the reason i replaced the gap was I was getting small evap leak code and large evap leak and the tighten gas cap erro was being displayed on my dash. I thought about the obstruction thing too and I need to see if I can send a stiff wire or snake down the filler tube. Just do not have one right now.

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you either bought the wrong cap or the problem has gotten worse in spite of the new cap. Try putting the oil cap back on? May want to check all the vacuum lines for the evap system too for any leaks.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and get it looked at as that trouble code is probably telling you something.

Going by memory here, but there's an evaporative emission control charcoal canister (or something like that) that collects vapors from the gas tank in a charcoal canister, stores them for a while and later sends them to the intake for combustion. It's an environmental thing. A separate vent line with a solenoid operated valve discharges any excess pressure in the canister to atmosphere.

When you add fuel to the tank, the vapors in the tank are displaced through this line to the canister as the volume of fuel increases in the tank. If that pressure relief valve is stuck fully or partially closed, there's no place for the vapors to exit in a timely fashion and the gas dispenser reads that as a full tank and shuts off delivery.

It's probably the valve or an obstruction in the vent line...sorry I can't recall the correct name for the valve.

Last edited:

lzyellodog

Reaction score
Cool thanks for the replies. Now I have a different problem. BUt I will post in a new thread.