TV Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_9596.JPG
    IMG_9596.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 62
  • antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 56

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the only place you can see either of the antenna wires.

Attachments

• IMG_9599.JPG
    IMG_9599.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 55

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From there, I took out the center counsel and ran the wires into there from where it meets with the carpet. I wasn't sure if you could use a splitter in reverse, but I tried it. It showed that I was getting a slightly better signal with both antennas hooked up, so I kept it that way.

Attachments

• IMG_9593.JPG
    IMG_9593.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9594.JPG
    IMG_9594.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to have a switch to turn the converter box on and off. I also wanted to be able to have it turn off when I turned the car off.

Below is the switch I wired up. It's a lighted switch, I still have to ground it to have it work as lighted, but not sure if I need it lit up since you can't see it anyways.

I also still have to mount it.

Attachments

• IMG_9604.JPG
    IMG_9604.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9605.JPG
    IMG_9605.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the power I used a relay. I ran power to the relay from the back of the cigarette lighter in the dash. This wire is always hot. So for the other side of the relay, I used the power from the lockpick. That way, when the car is turned off, the lockpick looses power and turns off the relay. I ran the ground through the switch from the lockpick also.

I decided to go this route rather then just using the lockpick power because it was such a low gauge wire, and it had an amp rating, but I forgot what that was.

I needed to power both antennas, and the inverter which powered the converter box. I thought it'd be better to use splice into the cigarette lighter power since it was a heavier gauge.

(this relay is hidden behind the plastic on the side of the center counsel)

Attachments

• IMG_9609.JPG
    IMG_9609.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9610.JPG
    IMG_9610.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Behind that panel is this whole mess. The black and white wires are the power for the antennas.

The red and black are the 12v power.

In there is the relay, my cigarette lighter (I guess they're called accessory plugs now, sorry), a splitter for the accessory plug (so I could plug in the antenna power and the inverter power), the inverter, and the 110v plug for the converter.

Attachments

• IMG_9606.JPG
    IMG_9606.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 21

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And here is some of that mess pulled out for a better picture.

Attachments

• IMG_9608.JPG
    IMG_9608.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9611.JPG
    IMG_9611.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 16

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my converter box. Between the center counsel and the passenger seat. I was going to velcro it to the side, but it stays pretty well, so I just left it.

The cool part is you don't have to point the remote down at it. You can aim it straight at the screen, and the converter picks it up.

Attachments

• IMG_9600.JPG
    IMG_9600.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9601.JPG
    IMG_9601.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 23

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of this so I can watch DA BEARS!

But, this only works well when stopped. Actually, it works GREAT when stopped. When moving, it gets very choppy, or totally cuts out. I did notice that on open roads with a clear view of downtown (where they broadcast from) I can get some reception, but when I loose line of sight, I loose signal if I'm moving.

You can also see the disclaimer at the top of the screen. This is from plugging into the back of the lockpick.

To watch tv, I have to go to the XM tab, hit the window lock 4x's, and it comes on. Pretty cool because it's in stereo in the car too!

If I were to plug the RCA cables into the rear input, then the disclaimer wouldn't be there, and it would also be able to be seen on the rear screen. Plugging into the lockpick, you can not view the tv on the back screen.

I wanted a clean install with not much showing, so I kept everything as hidden as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_9603.JPG
    IMG_9603.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 67