Type of oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been on other Forums and this AMS oil question seems to follow everywhere.
If you plan on changing your oil and filter every 3000 miles then a quality conventional 5w30 should be more than adequate.
If you're looking at synthetics, I would recommend Mobil 1 or Royal Purple.
I used both on a Race motor which was on an Engine Dyno. Back to back pulls with changing from Mobil 1 to RP and the RP netted 5-6 hp more. Also Mobil 1 has a wear factor in its formula where RP doesnt. Dont get me wrong I would use Mobil 1 in a Passenger vehicle in a heart beat.
(Ran the RP in my race car 795 HP 590 TQ 8.96 ET @ 152+).
Changed it every 15-20 passes and after I disassembled engine bearings, crank, piston skirts, cam lobes , etc. were like new.....!! Our engines will never see that kind of abuse.
No I dont use AMSOIL, never have............;)

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been on other Forums and this AMS oil question seems to follow everywhere.
If you plan on changing your oil and filter every 3000 miles then a quality convention 5w30 should be more than adequate.
I used both on a Race motor which was on a Dyno. Back to back pulls with changing from Mobil 1 to RP and the RP netted 5-6 hp more. Also Mobil 1 has a wear factor in its formula where RP doesnt.
Ran the RP in my race car 795 HP 590 TQ 8.96 ET @ 152+.
Changed it every 15-20 passes and after I disassembled engine bearing were like new.....!! Our engines will never see that kind of abuse.

I agree.. I will go with Mobil 1 in mine when it is time to change oil. GM already use Mobil 1 in all Corvettes from the factory. :thumbsup:

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for Mobil 1. Been using it for years in other vehicles.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you plan on changing your oil and filter every 3000 miles then a quality conventional 5w30 should be more than adequate.
I used both on a Race motor which was on an Engine Dyno. Back to back pulls with changing from Mobil 1 to RP and the RP netted 5-6 hp more. Also Mobil 1 has a wear factor in its formula where RP doesnt. Dont get me wrong I would use Mobil 1 in a Passenger vehicle in a heart beat.
(Ran the RP in my race car 795 HP 590 TQ 8.96 ET @ 152+).
Changed it every 15-20 passes and after I disassembled engine bearings, crank, piston skirts, cam lobes , etc. were like new.....!! Our engines will never see that kind of abuse.
No I dont use AMSOIL, never have............;)

Thanks Mr. bgoode! That's excellent info. I'm a Mobil-1 fan, and have been for a long time, and never heard of any actual accounts of RP vs. Mobil-1 in the same vehicle/motor with an actual test. Very interesting... I'm sure any gains with RP even in the 6.2L over Mobil-1 would be negligible, right? I mean, yours was a super-duper-race motor and it got like 1% more HP ... which could also be attributed to statistical margin of error, yes? Still, that translates to about 4 HP for me. Hmm.... :shhh: How much is that stuff? ;)

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MOBIL 1 is the BEST

Yet another vote for MOBIL 1 here!!! :clapping:

Been using it in my vehicles for years now...able to run a lot longer between oil changes. :yesnod: I've actually run as long as about 13K miles during one stretch in an old minivan (Nissan Quest) I use to own. Engine ran just fine!!! :D That engine took me up to about 97K w/o a hitch until it got totalled (wife got hit from behind--impact bent the frame :()...

Anyway... :10s: for MOBIL 1!!!

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mr. bgoode! That's excellent info. I'm a Mobil-1 fan, and have been for a long time, and never heard of any actual accounts of RP vs. Mobil-1 in the same vehicle/motor with an actual test. Very interesting... I'm sure any gains with RP even in the 6.2L over Mobil-1 would be negligible, right? I mean, yours was a super-duper-race motor and it got like 1% more HP ... which could also be attributed to statistical margin of error, yes? Still, that translates to about 4 HP for me. Hmm.... :shhh: How much is that stuff? ;)

RP runs around 7-8.00 per qt. (I would use the Mobil 1 in a heartbeat. The gain with RP is minor and for a few dollars more per qt. it isnt worth it, IMO).
I'm so nuts that I change oil every 3K regardless of type of oil.

08 Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are fine with any of the name brands. Amsoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Castrol, or Valvoline. They all have to meet certain industry standards. Synthetic is about three times the cost, but you can easily go three times the miles. I have been using "Mobil 1", for 20 years in various vehicles. I also use a Mobil 1 oil filter.

gundog

Reaction score
I have been using Amsoil in all my vehicles since the the early 80's. Never an issue. It has been in my Yukon since it's first oil change. I have done research on a number of synthetic oils over the years in search of a better oil but have found no reason to switch so will stay with Amsoil.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil-1 price

Saw Mobil-1 at Costco tonight for $29.99 for a 6-quart box of 5W-30. Is that a good deal?

Thanks!

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 5qt jug at Walmart a few weeks ago for $26, so for single quarts I'd say that is pretty good.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I may have to pick up one or two boxes for my next change, so I can save even more and take advantage of those discount coupons the dealer keeps sending me (I'll have 'em subtract the cost of the mineral oil)... The dealer charges like $8/qt for Mobil-1. Thanks guys!

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$4.86 @ Sam's

That's the best price yet -- too bad the closest Sam's is 17 miles away from me. It doesn't make sense for me to go there just for that to save 83 cents over Costco's price when Costco is 2.5 miles away... ;)

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the best price yet -- too bad the closest Sam's is 17 miles away from me. It doesn't make sense for me to go there just for that to save 83 cents over Costco's price when Costco is 2.5 miles away... ;)

thats exactly oppisite of me, its 20 miles to get to costco and 2 miles to get to sams, i think i may stop by then if its at that good price here. just to switch over from castrol gt to mobile 1.

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, Rollin Thunder, but your sig is just TOO BIG!!! :lol:

Is there a surgeon in the house to help reverse this anomaly?!! :giggling:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, Rollin Thunder, but your sig is just TOO BIG!!! :lol:

Is there a surgeon in the house to help reverse this anomaly?!! :giggling:

sure i will change it, sorry about that.

p.s. pm me next time, no need to waist forum space.

edit- BETTER