Upgrade them PATHETIC Fog Lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D'Hag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FOUND IT !!!

I was looking for a replacement tail lamp bulb the other day, perusing the bulb section of my local Advance Auto Parts, and what did I see? A new bulb on the shelf.

Sylvania #885.

Exact replacement for the stock #880 bulbs.

50 watts.

I'm installing them today. I'll post my impressions.

D'Hag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FOUND IT !!!

I can tell just in the daylight, while aiming the lamps, that these are a MAJOR upgrade over the stock 27.5 watt bulbs. They actually look like real, usable fog lights now.

We'll see how they work once the sun goes down.

andyb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell just in the daylight, while aiming the lamps, that these are a MAJOR upgrade over the stock 27.5 watt bulbs. They actually look like real, usable fog lights now.

We'll see how they work once the sun goes down.

Well how did they work??

D'Hag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well how did they work??
I'm sorry. When a guy makes a promise, he should keep it. :eek:

They work GREAT! Acutally, the factory lamps are quite well-designed. They throw a beam with a wide spread, and a solid "horizon cutoff" at the top. Almost no light projected up, when properly aimed. All they need is decent bulbs. Otherwise, they're nothing more than decoration.

Now if I find myself out in a heavy snow storm or pea soup fog at night (like last weekend), I can turn off the headlamps and use just the fog lamps so I can see the road.

I'm talking about conditions where you're not gonna drive more than about 30 mph anyway. Where even the low beams dazzle you with oncoming snow, or with an impenetrable wall of fog. Happens where I go more often than you think.

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only found one place to get 50W #88x yellow/gold bulbs and they are Korean made.

At $10 + Shipping I dunno if I wanna be the guinea pig.

markdtn

Reaction score
I was also unhappy with the stock fog lamps. I changed the valance to a Z71 valance and added Hella module 70 with H9 (65W) bulbs. I am very impressed.

P2180004.jpg

0352Marine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry. When a guy makes a promise, he should keep it. :eek:

They work GREAT! Acutally, the factory lamps are quite well-designed. They throw a beam with a wide spread, and a solid "horizon cutoff" at the top. Almost no light projected up, when properly aimed. All they need is decent bulbs. Otherwise, they're nothing more than decoration.

Now if I find myself out in a heavy snow storm or pea soup fog at night (like last weekend), I can turn off the headlamps and use just the fog lamps so I can see the road.

I'm talking about conditions where you're not gonna drive more than about 30 mph anyway. Where even the low beams dazzle you with oncoming snow, or with an impenetrable wall of fog. Happens where I go more often than you think.

These are awesome thanks for the info D'hag

Warrior14

Reaction score
Throw some HIDs in there. They're brighter, better looking, and they run at a lower temperature than halogen bulbs.

rob0014

Reaction score
I know this thread is a little old, but I thought I'd add my experience.

I have a 2001 Yukon. I'm pretty sure my stock fog lights were basically someone at GM's idea of a joke. I tried HIDs in them and a couple of different 880-series bulbs; they gave more light, but in the end the stock reflectors and lenses on my 2001 weren't really a true fog light.

I base this opinion on comparing to the factory fog lights on my 12 year old Mercedes, which are just amazing (although you'd expect that, given the sticker price on the car).

I took my Yukon's factory lights off, welded a tab to the bumper brace that's behind each light and installed a pair of Hella 550 fog lights. I had to position them a couple of inches back from the opening so that I could aim them straight forward since they aren't curved like the factory lights. They are a true fog light, not a driving light, so you don't get that long distance beam (you can get Hella 550 driving lights if that's what you want), but in fog, snow storms or heavy rain they are truly excellent.

The Hellas are designed to meet the German government's requirements so the lenses and reflectors actually work. The stock fog lights were no match (I tried them side by side), no matter what bulb I tried in them.

It's possible that some GM vehicles have original lights made by different suppliers, so some folks out there might actually have decent factory fog lights, but mine were just junk.

A few notes:
After I tried the 50W bulbs in my stock fog lights for a while you could see that the housing was beginning to melt. The Hellas are all glass and metal. They will only melt if I drive into a volcano.

The stock relay seems able to handle the extra current of the 55W bulbs just fine and the wiring is not getting warm. I spliced the Hella wiring directly in where the factory fog light connectors were.

If you hear your rear wiper jump when you turn on the fog lights, add an extra ground wire from the black wire at either washer pump to the frame (there's a GM TSB on this).

You may find other lights that fit better, but the 550s are working fine for me. Whatever lights you end up using, make sure they're aimed properly.