Upgrading LTZ 20" wheels from 17" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mohspeed

Reaction score
I just bought a set of factory 20s and was wondering if I need to have the dealer reprogram the ECU. I've been reading around and have heard that going from 17s vs 20s can affect ABS and traction control...and that the recommendation is to get it reprogrammed.

I know I can reprogram the new tire sensors to have the DIC display the new tire pressures by following the directions in the manual. When I had 24s (damn the theives that stole them only after I had them on there for a month) I did not reprogram the ECU but did reprogram the tire sensors.

Thanks!

chevytech03

Reaction score
Yes, i would have the dealer reprogram the pcm, it might cost around $150, gm charges the dealer $50, and the dealer usually charge 1hr labor.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The diameters are very close, I really don't think it is necessary. If you are sticking with 275/55-20 tires, I wouldn't bother.

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine re-programed due to my personal concerns about traction control, etc. However, the speedo difference is only around 1% from factory 17s to 20s.

MDTAHOE1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I switched my factory 17 on a LS to a 20 I put the 2 wheels side by side and they were exactly the same over all size 275/55/20 so there is no need to have any re programming. It would be a waste of time and money. If you contact the dealer I bet they would tell you you need to but that is not so.

metro273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^Exactly!
As long as the 2 different wheels, side by side, are the same height or very close, you'll be fine...:thumbsup: