Upper Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Door

Reaction score
HI
I have a 97 chevy Tahoe and I was checking to see if my fuel injector lines were leaking. In the process of re-attaching the fuel lines, I had the upper manifold off, I dropped a nut and it went into one of the holes. My question is, where did it go and how can I get it out. The nut is SS so I couldn't use a magnet to retrieve it. Thanks in advance.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a small shop vac with a small hose attachment...... (The idea is not to suck the nut into the shop vac, but to nab it in the end of the adapter hose....)

squeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May I ask ... did the nut drop into the hole for the spider leg or into one of the breathers? Along the lines of Lesterl you could use a handheld vacuum pump (I have a mity vac) if you have a hose that will fit. Though I don't think it would be a big deal to have the nut end up in a shop-vac. Good luck.

Door

Reaction score
Thank you lesterl and squesel,
I have been trying for 3 hours to vacuum out the nut, but now I think i am going to have to start disassembling something.
Does anyone know where those ports end at?

squeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to this site: http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/1012or_csfi_to_mpfi_vortec_engine_fueling_fix/

The "The other issue is that the end of a poppet valve is positioned just above the intake valve to each cylinder." which leads me to believe that if the nut is not lodged in the poppet hole it is close to the intake valve or worse. I hope this helps.

Are you certain that you lost a nut down the poppet opening?

Best of luck.

squeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I see ... the nut did not go directly into the intake through the poppet holes. I wish this question were last week when I had my plenum off. To substitute, let me ask ... when you vacuumed did you have all injector poppets in and the breather tubes and other plenum holes closed or stopped? Perhaps closing all holes, lining up the vacuum tube, power the vacuum tube while opening a breather tube will allow proper suction. Just WAGing here, so hopefully someone else will have a more substantial comment.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It went into the intake runner for what, #4 cylinder.

What are you using to suck it, the full hose? You need something small and flexible to be able to feed down the intake runner and act as a "air magnet".....