Using SEAFOAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This article was written for the camaro/trans-am, but the principles apply to the Tahoes as well. Do this twice a year and you'll be golden, though some people do it more often and some less.

The Problem Areas
For the intake manifold:

This is the item that sits on top of the block and allows the air and fuel to mix before combustion. As can be imagined, left-overs accumulate on the inside of this aluminum item, and can reduce the efficiency of combustion due to contamination (lower MPG), as well as hotspots, which lead to pre-ignition (knock, detonation).
For the throttle body:

Similar to the intake manifold, this item accumulates sludge from the PCV system, where gases and suspended oil make their way from the valve covers into the side of the throttle body. Sludge also builds up from the intake manifold mounting point. The throttle blades will begin to stick and may not even close fully due to this, if left long enough. This causes high idling, poor throttle response, and reduced performance, and to remove the build-up is to cause the opposite.
For the gas tank:

Is our gasoline pure? No. Over time the contaminants build up in the tank, which effectively pollutes the gas that is continually added. The fuel filter does a good job of filtering this out, but without ever having the tank itself cleaned, the filter will need replaced more and more often. Besides this, some particles do pass through the filter and over time will accumulate in the fuel lines. At the end of the lines are the injectors, which also have residue building up on them due to being inside the intake manifold, where the other contaminants accumulate. So much sludge! To remove this is to increase performance by allowing better combustion due to purer fuel, which makes for increased MPG and more power.
For the engine oil:

Is our oil pure? No. Even synthetic oils will pick up contaminants, if not during production, then while in the engine. Over time parts wear down and microscopic pieces are suspended in the oil and hopefully are mostly filtered out by the oil filter. But the remaining particles sit in the oil pan, to be recirculated throughout the engine the next time the car is run. They will also tend to get lodged in small pits inside the engine, just as happens with the intake manifold. They are either transferred throughout all of the oil passages and to every part that the oil lubricates, or can lead to pre-ignition. Obviously this can wear out an engine more quickly than if they were regularly removed from the oil, as well as cause sluggish engine acceleration from sticky lifters, etc.
How to Remedy!

To clean the above as thoroughly as possibly, without actually removing the manifold, throttle body and gas tank, you'll need the following Sea Foam products:

* Sea Foam Carbon Cleaner (2)
o In a metal bottle with a screw-off cap. Used for cleaning the intake manifold, gas tank and engine oil.
* Sea Foam Deep Creep
o In a metal bottle with a spray-type nozzle top. Used for cleaning out the throttle body and the rest of the intake manifold.

Sea Foam says that they sell their products at "NAPA, Carquest, Auto Value, Parts Plus, O'Reilly and probably most independents [auto part stores]."

Follow these simple steps either 500 miles before every other oil change (every 5500-9500 miles), or 500 miles before every third oil change (every 8500-14500 miles), to keep your car running smoothly and efficiently. The first time you add Sea Foam to your engine oil, you may want to change your oil twice as soon as normal, due to the extra dirt that will be loosened up (i.e., if you normally change every 3000, do it in 1500, just for the next time).

The intake manifold and throttle body will likely need cleaning more often than the gas tank and oil, so you can do the latter less frequently if you'd like to save money.
Warning: your O2 sensors and/or spark plugs may get moderately dirtier if this is the first time you've cleaned your intake manifold and/or throttle body. You may wish to do this for the first time right before you install new ones.

1. Park car in a well-ventilated area.
2. Start car and run until it reaches closed loop (generally 5-10 minutes, and above 160?).
3. Open hood.
4. Find black hose that runs from the middle of the driver's side of the intake manifold into the black box on the firewall. This is the brake booster hose.
5. Remove the hose end from the black box; you'll hear the vacuum and the car's idle change.
* If your car stalls out, then use the middle hose that attaches to the passenger side of the throttle body. It's an L-shaped piece of hose, that connects to a black box mounted on the pass. side of the intake manifold. Pull the end connected to that box, and use that for sucking the liquid in, detailed below.
6. Place end of hose into the top of the Carbon Cleaner bottle. Allow it to suck liquid out until the engine starts to idle noticeably lower; then remove the hose from the bottle. Do not pour enough to stall the engine yet.
* Warning: Sea Foam does not recommend sticking a vacuum line into the bottle, but rather pouring the liquid into the line by using your thumb over the top of the bottle to regulate the flow. This prevents too much liquid from being drawn in and possible hydro-locking. It is your choice how to do it, at your own risk.
7. Repeat the above until between 1/3 and 1/2 of the liquid has been used.
8. Now let enough of the liquid be sucked in until it stalls the engine.
9. Turn off ignition.
10. Replace black hose end into brake master cylinder (the black box on the firewall).
* If you used the throttle body connection, reconnect it back to the black box.
11. Pour the remaining 2/3-1/2 of Carbon Cleaner into crankcase (through the oil filler tube). If you want to be exact per its instructions, you can measure out about 7.5 ounces to add to a full oil supply of 5 quarts. This turns out to be between 1/3 and 1/2 of the can.
12. Pour other full bottle of Carbon Cleaner liquid into gas tank.
13. Remove intake bellows from throttle body and push up out of the way.
14. Have someone (or something) press the gas pedal all the way down, or manually move the throttle cable assembly under the hood, until the throttle blades are fully open.
15. Spray Sea Foam Deep Creep into throttle body, fully soaking the blades, the bottom, top, and up and down into the intake manifold behind the throttle body. Use a good amount.
16. Wipe off excess liquid and visible deposits from the throttle body and blades with a shop or paper towel (especially around the edges of the blades), and reconnect intake bellows.
17. Let car sit for a total of 15 minutes from the point you stalled the engine (however much of the 15 minutes is left after you've done steps 9-16).
18. Start car (it will be harder than normal).
19. Immediately take the car for a spirited drive, being sure to rev high as well as put a load on the engine to make best use of the Sea Foam in the oil valleys and lifter and ring areas. Enjoy the fogging of your neighborhood. Then take it to the gas station and fill up the tank with 91+ octane (as always).

You are done! Congrats!

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a can of seafoam. can anyone post a pic of what vacuum line to suck it up through? a pic with a big circle or arrow would be most helpful

thanks in advance!

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea seems pretty confusing. but i watched alot of utube videos of it. theres some tahoes to.. but yeah im scared to hydro lock my motor.. and i heard of a completely different story about seafoam. so i have no idea what do besides not do it at all..

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used seafoam before, but not in my Tahoe. I had an 89 Honda Prelude (carb not fuel injected) with a rough idle. I used the brake line booster line, and let the engine suck up about 3/4 of the can, and dumped the rest into the gas tank. It ran like crap for about 20 miles, but after that the thing ran like new. It also started getting better gas mileage. Worked out great for that car. But when it says it will put out some smoke, they weren't kidding. I was worried I might get pulled over, lol.

Just go slow and you won't hydro lock your engine.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha thats funny.. yeah some on them on youtube really smoke.. lol.. yeah im not sure if ill ever do it in my life time on one of my cars, but maybe a beater until im familiar with it.. beats me.. but thanks..im sure my hoe with love some foam in her.. lol

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahah the guy in the first one looks a little weird.. lol.. and the guy in the second i dont think did it compltly right.. and it sounded like crap.. but haha that was pretty funny..

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might have to do that while in line for my next emissions inspection

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, that would be pretty funny to watch. :smilielol: I wonder what the test results would show?

wht98yukon

Reaction score
well i did it and noticed some improvement in my truck. runs alot smoother and def feels like it got a little more motivation off the line

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I may as well do that on my Tahoe. I was waiting to see how my Prelude responded to it, and I can say that it is still running smoother and starting easier, and there have been no detrimental effects from it.

KJLegend

Reaction score
well i did it and noticed some improvement in my truck. runs alot smoother and def feels like it got a little more motivation off the line

Hey which vacuum hose did you use??? It has to be one that goes throughout all 8 cylinders so I want to be sure to use the right/best one possible. I am trying it on my acura legend first in both the crankcase, gas tank and I want to try the vacuum hose too.

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when you use a vacuum line it goes into the intake just like fuel and goes to all cylinders

Hey which vacuum hose did you use??? It has to be one that goes throughout all 8 cylinders so I want to be sure to use the right/best one possible. I am trying it on my acura legend first in both the crankcase, gas tank and I want to try the vacuum hose too.

KJLegend

Reaction score
Thanks, later I realized that... I'm going to try it out on the Legend and see how well it works...I just changed the oil in the Yukon so I'll wait on that one.

KJLegend

Reaction score
Okay I just did it to my Legend, put 1/3 in the crankcase, vacuum hose, and gas tank each. It had a lot of smoke blowing out the tail pipe, "and some from under the car" :(...But after driving around I definately noticed a smoother idle, accelleration, and cruise. It is now Yukon worthy so I will be doing it to the Yukon tomorrow.

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you had smoke under you're car then you have an exhaust leak and should check it out

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you had smoke under you're car then you have an exhaust leak and should check it out
Locating exhaust leaks. Yet another benefit of using seafoam, lol.

I have a problem with putting that in my crankcase though. I have now used it on both my vehicles, with good results. But I skipped the part about dumping some in the crankcase. I just don't want to put a solvent in with my engine oil, no matter how short of a time it's in there.

KJLegend

Reaction score
Yeah fortunately its only on my "beater" so the truck is fine! Ill get it checked out eventually on the beater legend...Thanks for the tip tho