vibration / shudder/ 1999 Tahoe Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wayne67vert

Reaction score
It starts about 40 mph. I feel it in my seat, coming from the driveline. Under light acceleration it starts. The vibration lasts about 3-5 seconds, stops for 2 seconds then repeats the cycle and continues up to 70 mph. It stops when letting off the gas. I have tried to drive in 3rd gear and have the same results. The vibration is not any faster in the lower gear.

I've changed the u-joints. My mechanic had the truck on stands and tried to simulate but couldn't identify the problem.

I plan to call the local driveline company on Monday and see if they can identify the cause.

I did a forum search and can't find any vibration issues like mine.

Has anyone had this same issue?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check flexplate.

Possible transmission issue?

Have you done a tuneup recently? Plugs/ AC DELCO CAP/ROTOR?

Wayne67vert

Reaction score
I had the transmission rebuilt 8k miles ago, and did a full tune up using
AC parts.
I think if the flexplate was the cause it would make the vibration go faster in the lower gear.
I'm thinking it may be in the axle.

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a vibration like this and it turned out to be a spindle bearing that was pretty messed up, the rear diff was full of metal shavings (magnet looked like a porcupine) it was pretty easy to tell once the rear diff was open....I had it replaced by a shop and they found a rear axle assembly and installed it for about $1200...not the cheapest repair

Wayne67vert

Reaction score
Pulled the diff. plug and found grit in the oil. Had the bearings and seals replaced and the complete housing cleaned. Very little metal on the magnet.
After test drive still stuttering when in OD above 40 MPH.
Did a google search for trans studdering, found the TCC will cause this vibration.
Now back to the trans shop for them to fix the trans.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you gott'er fixed, thanks for the headsup, wondered if maybe that could be it, but recently I had an issue like that and it was plugs (PO had replaced EVERYTHING else as new but still had Original plugs with 150k on them in it when I checked them..... geesh)