Vibrations at 60 to 65 mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scstables

Reaction score
What can this be? We had bought a used 1998 LT tahoe last September and now I am noticing a vibration at 60+ miles an hour which gets worse the faster you go (speed limit on the highway in my area is 65 mph). This is making me nervous, I need to know what to look at as I don't want to have an accident.

(missing my 2005 lt tahoe) :sad72:

sailormedic

Reaction score
99 Hoe

I have the same problem, sort of. I get the shakes at 70 mph, but can get past it at 75 or 65 and lower. Was told i need a pitman and idler, but not sure how they cause pulling to the right. At 70 my dash shakes up and down and the steering vibrates like crazy. Had tires rotated and balanced but no help. Any how looking for advice. Gonna replace shocks and see if that helps, Thanx

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire rotation and balance is the first thing to try.

Second Pitmanarm and Idlerarm/Idler Bracket would be suspect due to the steering linkage geometry they are prone to failure (if one is bad it will cause alignment to be off and can cause the shake due to being loose, also inspection of inner/outer tie rod ends would be good at this point.

99chevytahoe

Reaction score
You guys may overlook this but it may infact be your u joints. I had mine professionally replaced because they were so rusty but my drone at highway speeds stopped when i threw my drives haft back in.

scstables

Reaction score
Thanks all for the feed back. I notice this not every time I drive but only some times. When it does happen, I am at 55 mph + and while I am accelerating to get to 65 mph speed limit it can start vibrating and carrying on till I let off the gas then it stops. Then when I accelerate again, it starts vibrating. Again not every time I am on the highway. I get my vehicle inspected tomorrow and they think it could be something in my transmission (automatic). I hope it's nothing in my tranmission as that gets expensive (have 185k on the tahoe)

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet it is a missfire you are having..... Check fuel pressure, when was the last time tuneup stuff was done, what was the brand of all the components? Clean the MAF sensor very carefully with MAF sensor cleaner on the small components, I actually took qtips and MAF cleaner and gently cleaned the small pellets and it runs better.....

Mcm1209

Reaction score
http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=3196
Check out that thread
Im still searching for the culprit
New u joints
New steering components (inner outer tie rods, Idler arm, pitman arm)
New disk's and pads
New bearings
New shocks
New Sway bar links
New spider injectors
New distributor
New plugs and wires
New top intake (plastic one)
Next ill be doing is rebuilding the rear end