Volant on '07 Denali - pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post some real pics of my installation, since I've never done it justice, and there's lots of talk about CAI's on here lately...

Product link for intake: Volant 15253. Link to install sheet is here.

On my truck, I got about +1MPG, and a nice throaty roar on moderate to strong acceleration (not to mention the better throttle response). Installation is a snap, and should take only about 15-30 minutes.

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Looks good. I like the fact that you can tell it's aftermarket, but also that it blends in very well and doesn't look out of place at all like some systems do.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks JK!

Yup. The subdued and sophisticated look (not to mention all the good reviews on vendor sites and from other users here and abroad) was what sold me on the Volant setup. Looks good. Sounds good. Works well. :thumbsup:

raiderrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look great just purchased one should be here monday you say installation was easy? do i have to reset anything? cpu,disconnect the battery??

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah, it's easy man.

As long as you don't run the engine without the intake on, you won't set any codes, so you won't need to reset anything. Do the installation with the vehicle in a well-lit area so you won't be tempted to move it in the middle of the install... :rolleyes: It's really easy, and just follow the directions...

Snomon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put my Volant w/PowerCore on 2 nights ago. I didn't disconnect the battery like the instructions said. Took less than an hour. No issues and it you can feel a better throttle response.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM's CAI

Here's the GM version. Wish someone offered a blanking plate for covering the opening in the manifold cover that was there for the OEM system.

Attachments

• CAI 1.jpg
    CAI 1.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 28
  • CAI 2.jpg
    CAI 2.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 36

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the GM version just as good as the Volant? ...made by Volant? Does installing the Volant void GM's factory warranty?

raiderrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just installed the volant air intake system works nice easy installation i have 26" wheells on my 07 tahoe and i felt the difference when they were put on alittle slugglish taking off but i feel the difference with volant in my low end also the lid on the intake box didnt lineup to the holes drill drilled in the box so i called volant direct they sent a "tech" to my house and he replace the lid no problem couldnt believe it!!

raiderrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also to the gm intake uses the polished piping which retains heat or hot air as i would say the volant uses a high density abs plastic which doe not retain heat also i went to the volant facitlities after the tech came to my house he told me to come check it out so i did they also test vehicles with there hoods cloes which most air intake companies do not which i was told it makes a big difference when you test with the hood close and with it open with it closed its like real time driving im mean who drives with their hood open???

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time:rolleyes: ) but the air is moving thru that pipe so fast that I doubt it is picking up much heat.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time:rolleyes: ) but the air is moving thru that pipe so fast that I doubt it is picking up much heat.

I don't know, convection is a pretty good method of heat transfer...

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, either the MAF sensor or throttle body has an air temp sensor as well (can someone confirm where it's located?). If it's in the throttle body, one could theoretically try two intakes and see if there's any difference after warming it up for a while, then running it for say, 30 minutes on one, and 30 minutes on the other and comparing temps.

My Edge can read the air temp sensor, and I can output that data to a graph on my computer. So, come on, send me your AEM/GMPP intakes! :smilielol:

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know, convection is a pretty good method of heat transfer...

Convection describes the movement of air eg, warm air rises. Maybe what you meant was conduction for heat transfer. Without getting too detailed, with a moving fluid, you get a boundary layer effect where the fluid tends to stagnate. Since air is a fair insulator, the moving air doesn't really see the heat of the metal tube.

raiderrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you would be amazed how hot that pipe gets? thats why you dont see much of them chrome cause the heat discolors the chrome

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the "metal tubes" of the AEM and GMPP intakes just chromed ABS plastic, or are they actually solid metal? I'd be inclined to think that if they were solid metal, it'd contribute (albeit negligibly) to heating the air going into the throttle body.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Convection describes the movement of air eg, warm air rises. Maybe what you meant was conduction for heat transfer. Without getting too detailed, with a moving fluid, you get a boundary layer effect where the fluid tends to stagnate. Since air is a fair insulator, the moving air doesn't really see the heat of the metal tube.

Yes, conduction through convection is what I was referring to. While you are correct in that air is a decent insulator, moving air is not. Take a radiator for example, we let air flow(convection) across the fins which transfer heat(conduction) to the air. The point I was trying to make is that while the tube is not near as efficient as a radiator, heat from the pipe will still be transferred to the flowing air, causing it to warm up. If you had an insulated pipe, this would not be the case, and the air entering the engine would be cooler.