Product Reviews-blackbear Tune, Volant Cai, Magnaflow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ickulus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the above mentioned items installed on my 5.3, here's some details and comments....

1. Volant Powercore CAI

This is the newer Volant with the filter that doesn't need as much maintenance. Cost ~300, installed myself (45 min) did NOT see any mileage gains or low end power. Made engine louder and definitely noticed improved high end torque. Not so sure it was worth the money.

2. Magnaflow Catback

Full catback system, cost 470, installed myself (1 hr). Fairly easy install, only trouble I had was with clearance from rear fascia. It is about 1/3-1/2" away, but I haven't had trouble with heat damage in the hottest part of the summer. This was put in after the CAI and I can definitely say again I noticed both low/high power increase. Mileage gains were negligible. Pretty loud, really as loud as I want it. No drone cruising unless I go over 80 and I think that's just from engine working.... Can only say that I love it!

3. Blackbear tune

I had this installed a few days ago. It cost 400 since I got extra ECM/PCM and would have only costed 200 with just the tune. I haven't had it long enough to notice any mileage gains, but I can say that I chose the mileage option and was told to expect about 2mpg increase. You can actually choose your desired shift points and if you don't tow things, you can change your tow button to an aggressive shift mode (a perfomance mode of sorts). I chose not to do this since my goal was better mileage, a little more torque, and I do occassionally tow. As for the torque there is a noticeable improvement even after the CAI/exhaust, and shifting seems quicker and smoother. Also, I may just be imagining this, but it seems to switch to 4cyl. faster. I can't say anything to the validity of that though. Justin was very friendly and fast in getting it done, and actually did it here in TX through an associate of his. ALL IN ALL -- WORTH IT!

I will update as to mileage gains.....hope I see them!

HOPE THIS HELPS!:D

hotrod127

Reaction score
tahoe mods

What year is your tahoe , and why did you chooose those items as obose to to the KN or borla or any other ?
Thx
JOrge

Ickulus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I chose the volant because it is low maintenance and totally enclosed, and the magnaflow based on some recommendations-I didn't want a super loud exhaust. Borla and Corsa are great, but cost a little more....

chevyhoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i dont exactually get the black bear tune ... if im understaning correct i believe you order it from the site... it comes to your door, and you install it ... how do u kno how to tune it and for shift points... the good stuff =) ... OR IS IT PLUG IN FROM THE FACTORY

Ickulus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blackbear is not from the factory. It is a custom tune for your vehicle. You get readings from your vehicle, send it to Justin and he tunes it specifically for your truck and needs. You get a new PCM and ECM. The shift points are usually changed and you end up with more torque, mileage, horsepower. It's like having a programmer except you can't fiddle with the settings. Cheaper and better IMO because it's not for all Tahoes and all driving styles, just yours.

THE YETI

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a Blackbear tune on my 06 Crewcab and it made a world of difference! We'll be getting one on our new Suburban as well!