Volant on '07 Denali - pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put my Volant intake w/PowerCore filter on this morning. Not sure if I can tell much of a difference throttle-wise. I'm still new to driving this vehicle so maybe there is better throttle response. Can anybody else who has a PowerCore tell a difference?

volantintake.jpg

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getwired, nice job on the intake. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I want one now.

Are you really getting a 1mpg increase?

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel economy improvement is real, just not HUGE

Are you really getting a 1mpg increase?

Yes, it was really like +1.1 MPG as measured over the course of about half a tank of gas (I know, not much, but enough to see a positive difference). Just a few days after installed it, I also did synthetic oil, switched exclusively to 93 octane fuel, so that increased things further. A few weeks later I added an Edge Evolution... I regularly get 13.5+ MPG average, over 9.9 that I was getting before I did anything.

Sorry for the long-winded response, just wanted to qualify and clarify things!

P.S. As a side note, I gassed up this weekend, and made it a point to really keep my foot out of it, watch the revving/shifting, and limit my cruising speed to 65MPH or slower. Miracle of miracles: over about 50 miles, my average economy for my 6.2L/6-speed is 15.9MPG. WOO HOO!!!! I wonder if I could get 17-18 on the highway? Probably. And yes, I was driving like Grandpa. :D

Gman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fort Worth, Texas "Where the West Begins"
I got to add my 2 cents here. The GM Performance CAI is made by GM to fit GM vehicles. Don't you think the GM Engineers thought about the materiels in their GM CAI before they offered it to the public? These guys aren't dummies why would they produce something that would make their vehicles run worse. You guys talking about metal vs plastic is a bunch of BS. If nothing else the GM CAI looks sexy as hell under the hood and the chrome pipe alone adds 5 more horse power. Besides who wants some plastic crap probably made in China on their vehicle anyway. I say make the whole damn thing out of chromed metal then you can be proud to raise your hood. That may be 3 cents. :yesnod:

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getwired, no worries about a long post. More info the better.

So if I'm reading your post correctly, after you installed the Volant only, you saw ~1.1mpg gain and then further mods as well as driving like grandpa yielded more mpg gains? Its really tough to drive under 65 with this truck.

I have the same engine as you so I'm looking to see if your results could be considered a benchmark for me. I ordered the Volant intake today. After seeing your pic's I had to get one.:drool: :drool:

Should be here sometime next week because of the holidays. Bought it from AutoAnything and without realizing it they're in Cali so I had to cough up the tax. :mad2:

Thanks for the help.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These guys aren't dummies... ...the GM CAI looks sexy... ...you can be proud to raise your hood... That may be 3 cents. :yesnod:

I dunno dude, sometimes I think the GM guys are dummies. But, you're probably right, I'm sure any additional heat is negligible, and the "oooh shiny!" factor is definitely cool. But I'm quite proud to raise my hood with the Volant; I just thought the GMPP CAI was way overpriced @ $400.00. (Or was that $400.03?!?) :smilielol::smilielol::smilielol:

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to say, the Volant really does look good, I don't know about function, but I think it definately adds a clean custom look to the engine! :Chevy:

TallyDAWG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have things become better for you? Notice any difference in the sound?

I just put my Volant intake w/PowerCore filter on this morning. Not sure if I can tell much of a difference throttle-wise. I'm still new to driving this vehicle so maybe there is better throttle response. Can anybody else who has a PowerCore tell a difference?

volantintake.jpg

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have things become better for you? Notice any difference in the sound?

I didn't at first, but I just hadn't hit the gas hard enough. When you hit it, it roars a lot louder than with the stock filter. I should note that I have the PowerCore version of the volant, I can't speak for the regular one.

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my Volant intake system today. Did you received step by step directions or just a schematic?

Also, the metal plate that hell up the old air box, do you removed that completely to fit the Volant in? I had to take it off. Hope that wasn't a no-no.:nono:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, just the "exploded" drawing, no step-by-step. But, I think there's some written step-by-step instructions on their site. Yeah, check here for 15253 on Denali 6.2L.

I did the same thing when I installed mine -- I left the metal plate at first and I realized it wouldn't fit, so I removed it and it fit perfectly. I would assume that since mine's perfectly fine, your's is too! Actually, that's step 6 on the written directions. I remember finding the directions online after I did the install, and was like "well, duh!" :D

Enjoy it!

What do you think about that nice roar when you step on it? :yesnod: :shhh: :yesnod:

Last edited:

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getwired, thanks.. The install was pretty easy. The only thing I wasn't sure about was taking off the bottom airbox plate. Questioned whether it was suppose to come off or if I received the wrong Volant part.

After double checking the part number, I said heck, take it off and lets go for a joy ride.

I haven't taken it for a full test drive yet. Just drove around my local streets. The sound does seem a little different.

Thanks for the help.

raiderrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No Step By Step Direction,yes You Gotta Remove Bottom Plate To Install Volant Pretty Basic Take Your Time Piece It Together

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recall I paid around $270 shipped for the 15253 setup (6.2L), without the PowerCore (I'm using the included standard Volant oiled filter). Got it via eBay; you can get basically the same deal from AutoAnything if you catch 'em on their free shipping offer... Pricing may be different for the other engines tho -- get the exact part number from www.volant.com, then you can check the pricing with froogle.google.com. Cheers!

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between the Power Core and regular versions? Also, what is average prive difference.

Thanks

The power core filter is suppose to be good up to 100K miles. It's also does not use oil on the filter so thats probably better for the MAF sensor.

Price difference if you order the entire kit is about $35 - $45 bucks.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The power core filter is suppose to be good up to 100K miles...

That's what you wound up getting, right? How's it workin' out for ya?

I have the standard Volant oiled filter that comes with the 15253 kit, it seems fine, but I dunno if it's worth upgrading... Anybody have any thoughts on that?

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what you wound up getting, right? How's it workin' out for ya?

I have the standard Volant oiled filter that comes with the 15253 kit, it seems fine, but I dunno if it's worth upgrading... Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Yes and its working out great. :thumbsup: Thanks for help BTW.

I can't give you feedback whether to upgrade or not cause I've never used the standard "oiled" air filter.

Reasons why I went with the powercore is because I'm lazy and not having to bother with the air filter for 100K miles(hopefully) was an incentive. Also, the price difference was only ~$35 bucks. Price of a couple of cleaning solution kits, so figured why not.

I haven't notice much improvement on gas mileage, but it sounds terrific.