Was the Z71 available on 2 doors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowautoxr

Reaction score
My youngest son wants a 2 door Tahoe/Yukon 4x4 Z71. Was the Z71 available on the 2 doors? I looked up Z71 on wikipedia and it says that it became an option in 2000 - the year after 2 door Tahoes stopped production. The Z71 sound like a pretty decent package if wikipedia is right on what all it contains.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep, its avaliable on the 2 doors, you'll have "Z71" in your RPO codes if you have the package.

my 96 came with the package. :)

slowautoxr

Reaction score
Is this an accurate description of what is in the Z71 pkg?
"...on/off-road tires, an automatically locking rear differential, color-coded bumpers, fog lamps, a grill guard, tail lamp guards, tubular side steps, a skid plate, special 5 spoke aluminum alloy wheels, and distinctive "Z71" badges. The inside received distinctive two-tone leather appointments. "Z71" Tahoes could be ordered in 5 colors: Sport Red, Bermuda Blue, Silver Birch, Black, or Summit White."

Last edited:

bigblackhoe98

Reaction score
Most of that is wrong...they didn't come with fog lamps, grille guard, tail lamp guards, tubular side steps, special wheels, or two tone leather. All sounds like aftermarket add-ons to me.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of that is wrong...they didn't come with fog lamps, grille guard, tail lamp guards, tubular side steps, special wheels, or two tone leather. All sounds like aftermarket add-ons to me.

Mine has bilstein shocks (about to be replaced 138k!) recovery hooks and the z71 wheels.

Ive always heard them called z71 wheels anyway, like these in this picture:
http://pavlockperformance.com/images/z71wheelssmall.jpg

I don't have an electric locker, skid plate 2tone leather, light/grill guards foglights tube steps.

but mine might be a fake z71 anyway, there's no z71 code in the glovebox. just the stickers, hooks, wheels and shocks.

I have an aux trans cooler and an oil cooler but those might be part of the z82 tow package it has.

article on wikipedia sounds like its about newer ones, it says something about 2000 and they call white summit white but my white gmt400 tahoe is called olympic white.

Last edited:

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Z71 came with different shocks more skid plates and maybe the G80

slowautoxr

Reaction score
I expect my son to do a little off roading with this. Is it worth looking for a Z71? The hard parts like skid plates and the locking rear differential would be nice. Would a non Z71 4x4 be good enough? I can't imagine adding skid plates would be too hard. The differential is another matter though.

bigblackhoe98

Reaction score
My non-Z71 has locking diff. so I'm not so sure that's a special option. The "Z71 wheels" came on every 4x4 Tahoe during these years. I've always heard the Z71 extras were the better shocks, skid plate, and decals. If this is true, any Tahoe could be turned into a Z pretty easily.

Last edited:

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"...on/off-road tires, an automatically locking rear differential, color-coded bumpers, fog lamps, a grill guard, tail lamp guards, tubular side steps, a skid plate, special 5 spoke aluminum alloy wheels, and distinctive "Z71" badges. The inside received distinctive two-tone leather appointments. "Z71" Tahoes could be ordered in 5 colors: Sport Red, Bermuda Blue, Silver Birch, Black, or Summit White."

Actually, the grille guard and fog lamps were factory options for the Z71, and the locking rearend and skid plate were options on all tahoes/yukons. I'm not sure about the two-tone leather though, I know Z71's could have leather, but I don't know about two-tone. Not sure about tubular side steps, but it's possible they were an option to. these trucks have a boatload of factory options people don't know about. You could order a Z71 from the dealership all decked out, though you'd pay a hefty price.

I've always heard the Z71 extras were the better shocks, skid plate, and decals.

That's pretty much it, except I believe they had better all terrain tires, and all z71's were 4x4. They had a different option package too, like I mentioned above. I'm pretty sure the grille guard and all that was not available for standard tahoes and yukons, but I may be wrong.

I expect my son to do a little off roading with this. Is it worth looking for a Z71? The hard parts like skid plates and the locking rear differential would be nice. Would a non Z71 4x4 be good enough? I can't imagine adding skid plates would be too hard. The differential is another matter though.

A z71 is not crucial, although it is what he wants. I have a 1995 Tahoe 4-door 4x4 LS trim with an open rear differential and it does just fun in the mud and snow on and off road.

ColaCanyon

Reaction score
This is the Z71 Tahoe that the info you found was referring to. The Z71 Tahoe in this form was only available in a 4 door version and only available as a 2000 iirc.
2000.chevrolet.tahoelimitedz71.2039-396x249.jpg

2000tahoez71

Reaction score
Yes, that is a Z71 Tahoe. It came out in 2000, with those features. I recently bought one. As for the 2 door tahoes, many have z71 stickers but were not like the 2000 and newer with all the bells and whistles.

718frankb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just look for any 2 door with a g80 option. a 10-15 year old truck would probally need shocks and tires anyway as for skid plates you could make them yourself that would be far superior to factory . good luck

Beef

Reaction score
I Have a decked out LT with the locking rear on tow package... I wouldnt specifically look for only a Z71. I agree with what the guy posted above me.. old truck is goin to need new shocks and rubber