What is the 23hp difference between the Denali/Escalade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in TX, but got a Wisconsin truck (doorjam stickered says something along the lines of "made with pride somewhere in Wisconsin). So, my fuel door says premium fuel recommended on the inside. I wonder why the Wisconsin plant puts it on and the Wisconsin doesn't? Also, why did I get a Wisconsin truck when I live in Texas? :D j/k.

tommyg

Reaction score
Oh, I have a 2WD Yukon Denali and it's plenty fast for a daily driver truck. If I need speed I have my 480hp C6. :) That said, I thought it was odd that there is a true 23hp difference between the Slade and Yukon Denali. I thought it was just BS marketing and the power output was identical in reality.

It seems like a lot of work to have different pistons for the Yukon Denali and then use 'special' pistons for the Sierra Denali and Escalade.

Maybe a stupid question, or maybe I just haven't paid much attention to what GM is offering...but I didn't realize there even was a 2WD denali :confused:

Was that something offered new in '08?

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2WD is an option in the '08 Denali. I didn't want or need the AWD. Less weight, less cost, less complexity, better fuel efficiency.

08denalixl

Reaction score
One of the biggest factors in me getting a denali vs a escalade was the diffrence in power. i dont like all the chrome on the escalde a little bit to much in my opinion..

in my quest for answers i found out that the escalde was rated at i believe 403hp @ 5300rpm and the denali 380 @ 4800rpm... then i called over the folks at diablo sport they said they don't see any real change in the tunes..

i was happy with that so as you can see by my user name i chose the denali .

** side note- diablo sport custom tuned my 6.2 the other day what a diffrence i knew it would make a diffrence but wow it is a hole new beast ..
with the roads wet at 50mph if you stomp on it it burns tire!!! a huge difference i recommend changing the stock tune to everybody.

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, is it possible the 380hp was just rated at a lower rpm than the 403hp at a higher rpm in the Escalade? Meaning, at an equal rpm, the power is actually the same between the Slade and Denali?

08denalixl

Reaction score
yea thats what it means if they would have gone up to 5300 rpm the denali would have the same hp #'s im sure next year they will rate them at like 5800rpms and say they have 425 hp ... just to sell more

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Denal is rated 380hp at 5500rpm and the Escalade is rated 403hp at 5700rpm. Hmm....

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once again, I believe the Escalade makes more power via higher compression. That would explain the similar tune parameters.

08denalixl

Reaction score
the escalade and the gmc Denali sierra/Yukon share 10.5:1 compression ratios.

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I could find hard and fast data from GM on the engine differences. The fact that it's difficult leads me to believe the true hp difference is mostly BS.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the torque in each 6.2L is virtually the same, maybe even a couple points less in the higher HP version.

Like this? Another reason why I think it's the CR, I think increased CR adds HP but generally a similar displacement, cam, and TUNE causes the Torque to remain; changes in those affects torque and it's curve. I'm being stubborn on this, huh?

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you know, I could end up being dead wrong about this, and I'm honestly looking everywhere to try to get to the bottom of it. All I know is that with new standards for power ratings they can no longer just under or over rate power just to manipulate the market, it's strict now and those days are gone from what I understand. Also it was a fact that in the 6.0 there was 2 variations, the LQ4 and LQ9, who's differences were in the CR. So far what I did find on the 6.2 shows the same engine number in both Escalade and Denali. And all I could find was one saying a 10.5:1 CR, so who knows. If it does turn out the same, well, good thing I didn't promise to eat my shorts if I was wrong. But I do want to find out what the real differences are, right or wrong.

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any luck, Black Dog? I'm definitely curious if hard data can be shown to prove the 23hp difference. I'm thinking the difficulty finding this information makes it likely that there really isn't much/if any true hp difference.

jetskied

Reaction score
Has anyone thought that the Caddy recomends premium while the Denali uses 87. The octane alone on testing for SAE HP can account for the differences in HP. New for '09 is the 6.2 in the Silverado rated at 402HP. I highly doubt that GM is building different CR engine for the SUV/Trucks these days as it would be highly inefficent to do only for the two diffent trucks that are essentially the same. The most likely explination for the difference is tunning. The LQ9 and LQ4 was different because the heads were different. There is no evidence advertised that the Caddy has different CR. From what i know all the truck engines are L92 code so that means the hard parts are the same.

Last edited:

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes sense to me because there seems to be some discrepancy between what octane is actually required on the Denali.

The owner's manual for my STI actually said that premium was required (not just recommended). They said if you couldn't find premium, you could temporarily run regular but you'd need to get premium as soon as possible.

If the Denali's owner's manual was printed incorrectly or the all important sticker on the gas door was missing, you'd think that there would be some kind of official TSB on it to correct the problem.

Lacking that, I think the engine is robust enough to do fine with 87 octane but if you want maximum performance, a higher octane would be better.

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, does that imply that if you run premium in the Denali, you'll get the full 403hp?