what oil is best for these tahoes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

memphisboi55

Reaction score
sup, got a 99 tahoe with about 180k miles...

whats the best oil t get when getting oil changed?

summer and winter...

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will usually get way more opinions than you want when you ask this question, so I might as well throw mine in as well. I use nothing but synthetic oil in any vehicle I own. I am a loyal Amsoil customer, but have also used Mobile 1 and Castrol Syntec. In the end, you need to research on your own. Check out the link that NoEcm attached in his post. And you can also check out this article about motor oil basics.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=haas_articles

YukonMud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same kind of question...I have been running high milage castrol oil in my truck since I bought it, currently has 185,xxx miles on it. I have been thinking of going to synthetic but everyone I talk to, stores/shops, say that I might be better off sticking with what I currently use as switching might not be thick enough. They say that with a my type of vehicle switching might bring out some nasty leaks.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the time you really should read the atricle I posted a link to. It goes into in-depth discussion on oil viscosity, and most people's mis-understanding of it. But about your question. There may be some truth to what you heard, but not in all cases and not all synthetics. It is true that some types of synthetic oils can shrink rubber seals and make existing leaks worse. But some synthetic oils have additives that counter this to actually make the seals swell.

I guess the way I would look at it is why do you want to switch? You've obviously been taking pretty good care of your rig if you have 185k miles on it. You might want to stick with what's working for you.

My Tahoe has 131k miles on it, has had synthetic basically since it was new(if I can believe the previous owner), and I don't have any leaks. That's why I stick with synthetic oil in this rig. But you need to do some research for yourself and make an informed decision about what to use. Don't just take the opinions of a bunch of people you don't know who like to voice their opinions on a forum.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've been running valvoline high mileage 5w30 in mine since i've had it with a napa gold filter. hoes got 166K on it.

SPXTrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read almost every page in Bob is the Oil Guy, and I'm using German Castrol 0W30. Like Mike said, there's more to the numbers and the differences they mean for dino vs. syn than most think.

starcenter04

Reaction score
umm,, i have a 95 tahoe and use castrol oil...works fine and never had any problems.. so i would go with that!

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
castrol w30 to be specific

Are you saying you run straight 30 wt motor oil? No, that's bad. GM recommends using 5w30 oil in these motors. If you are using straight 30 wt oil you are causing excessive engine damage at start-up.

starcenter04

Reaction score
Are you saying you run straight 30 wt motor oil? No, that's bad. GM recommends using 5w30 oil in these motors. If you are using straight 30 wt oil you are causing excessive engine damage at start-up.

oo sorry i didnt realize what i said earlier,, yes 5w30 on it,, sorry for that!

:thumbsup:

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i live down south so i stick with 5w30 castrol gtx high mileadge. i am very loyal to castrol gtx because john force is the man.

oil is oil unless u can afford mobil 1 synthetic, it doesn't really matter

bud30120

Reaction score
I use mobile1 extended performance in mine. 216,000 miles. runs perfect..