What plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i know my sig and name make you think i have a 97 hoe. not anymore i now have 00 burban with the 5.3 4x4 and it is time for new plugs 123k on the clicker and still seems to have the oem plugs wow i know.

So my question is what plugs do you guys recommend i am just interested in fuel millage not more power or anything. do i go iridium or what i was looking at the new bosch fussions . and i know boost said something about ngk but what one

Help me guys i am taking a trip this weekend and need these in first and i trust no one else but you all when it comes to this kind of stuff

Thanks in advance
Ryan

ZX1100F1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's time to change plugs (as you know), you should notice a better running engine.

The OEM AC Delco Iridium part # 41-985 work very well in the 5.3L.
If the Ac's are not available the NGK Iridium IX part # TI5IX also works nicely.
Most other brands do not perform as well in this particular application.

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

i just whent and took out a loan to buy the ac delco iridium ones wow those things are high. like $6.99 a piece at my local o'reilly's. hope they work well for me

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tr55s are fine, I'm running tr6s gapped to .35 the platinum and iridium are overkill for these engines but the delcos are good stuff (made my ngk).

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed out the plugs and wires on my truck...the plugs were STUCK, and looked like the stock AC Delcos from the factory! I checked the gaps on the old plugs, which ranged from .055 all the way up to .078!

I replaced them with NGK TR55's carefully gapped to .050, but after poking around a bit and doing a little research I might pull them out again and re-gap them to .040 for the hell of it. I like working on my truck so pulling the plugs out again ain't no big thang. ;)

Not a whole lot more power or anything but I think I got a slight bump in gas mileage, which is always a good thing. I know the stock iridium plugs are rated for a crapton of miles, but how often do these TR55's need to be replaced in comparison? Much more often I'd imagine...but thats ok with me.

Nappers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the stock AC Delco iridiums and wires in my '00 Yukon with 5.3 and runs like a champ.

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cant go wrong with the delcos I need to check mine I havent even taken a look at them since I got the truck but I dont have any issues with mileage or throtle response so Im not in a hurry.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um, yeap, this is a revive....

Can't find the AC Delcos people are talking about. Where are they? http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?productTypeID=1&AAIA=1361551

AC, go to www.rockauto.com, open up the parts catalog, and click the "Part Number Search" tab at the top. Type 41985 into the search field, and it will pull up the AC Delco Iridium plugs pre-gapped to .040. If you order 8 or more in one order, they are only $5.82 each. :D

Alternatively, the NGK TR55's are like $2 each and work pretty well. Thats what I'm running now but I still have yet to regap them from .050 to .040...just never got around to it.

DefEddie

Reaction score
Whatever you use,don't use bosch platinum anything,they're a misfire in a box.
One look at the electrode(or lack thereof) and you'll see why.

I use stock delco's or autolite platinums. Curiously enough i'm really liking the autolite's. I file back the ground strap to unshroud the plug and gap a little long though,not sure how much of a difference -if any- that makes.

For wires,I would go with Taylor's. I've used the MSD's and ACCEL's in several vehicles and all three brands in vortec trucks and they are the best i've had yet.
Accel is a terrible plug and wire in my experience,but they've got good caps and bugs.

GMTECH56

Reaction score
I have had multiple trucks with 5.3 and 6.0's come into the shop after customer has done tune up with misfire and 99% of the time it's aftermarket plugs. The only plugs I put in these trucks is the oem delcos I think they are platinums. Not saying that there are not other plugs that work great but why not stick with what you know works.