What temps do u guys get in your a/c right now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jounier11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i said i would finally get my ac system fixed this Saturday which i did, replaced the compressor charged it and then found out by the mechanic that the ac hoses with the valve ports are no good the top port where you charge the compressor was leaking and a/c would not come cold okay so for compressor and 2 cans of ac refrigerant $210 out my pocket + another $180 for the new hoses with installation and 2 more cans of ac refrigerant the total cost= 390, now my issue? okay so today i went to rose hills cemetery to go see my mom for mother's day went with the family me, my dad, two of my bros, and my 2 nieces, hottest it got today was 102* in so cal,when idling in traffic or on a light ac temp was about 70* (on high front and rear on) and when i get on the highway easily get ac temps of 60* and maybe less (again on high and front and rear were on) now highway seems fine but idling IDK? 70 seems a little high for my ac being on max and having front and rear on, so my question is what temps do u guys get on your ac when on the highway or idling? i think maybe i just need some more refrigerant since the mechanic only put 2 12.5oz cans of r-134a!

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt 2 cans is enough, my 97 venture with rear air takes 48 ounces (4 cans....) Sounds like you are low on freon...... You need to charge it with a set of guages so you know when it is full.....

Jounier11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually i talked to him he said he put 3 but oreilly says it can hold 64oz of freon think i need 1 or 2 more cans and i should be good to go gonna do it this saturday since i have to work all week, i will aslo follow your tip about using a set of gauges thanks lester.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if you have rear air, I would suspect you need at least one more can if not two...... You need to charge it with a set of guages so you can watch the pressures and know when it is topped off......

Tahoebuzz

Reaction score
The more amount of cans wont change the temp whenever your driving and sitting at an idle... I was told that there is this little metal tubing on the left under the hood that has this cheap plastic coil in it that needs to be replaces and thats what helps regulate the temp

Tahoebuzz

Reaction score
should be under a 10 dollar fix minus the price of cans of freon the you will have to fill it back up with

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more amount of cans wont change the temp whenever your driving and sitting at an idle... I was told that there is this little metal tubing on the left under the hood that has this cheap plastic coil in it that needs to be replaces and thats what helps regulate the temp

"actually i talked to him he said he put 3 but oreilly says it can hold 64oz of freon think i need 1 or 2 more cans and i should be good to go gonna do it this saturday since i have to work all week, i will aslo follow your tip about using a set of gauges thanks lester."

He had 3 cans put in, system holds 64oz, 3X12oz cans = 36oz or an undercharge.

Perhaps the "little metal tubing with the cheap plastic coil" you are referring to is the orifice tube, and why would you replace it unless it is bad? Also hooking up a set of guages to high and low side could help troubleshoot the issue.