What's needed along with lift kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheHoe95

Reaction score
I've got a bone stock '95 Tahoe 2dr.
I want to build it into purely a mud rig.
I want at least 9inches of lift. Possibly a 6in suspension lift paired with a 3in body. And I want to be able to fit up to 38'' boggers under it with little to no rubbing.
My question is what other parts am I looking at needing to purchase other than the lifts? I'm pretty sure the suspension lift I looked up comes with the t case drop and possible longer arms. I'm not entirely sure though.
I'm thinking I'll need stronger axles, lower gears... What else?
Currently deployed in Afghanistan. Looking to build this beast when I return to the states in 2 months. Any and all help is appreciated.

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

I have never lifted a truck that far so I will wait for others with more experience.

TheHoe95

Reaction score
Ive looked at the SAS conversions and they do look sick. They also look expensive. And how to you add so much lift after just swapping a straight axle?
What would I be looking to spend to have the SAS done along with like 12" of lift compared to the conventional lifts to 9" I mentioned above?

straight axle

Reaction score
When going to a straight axle your lift comes from the leaf spring. The sprigs used will either be front leafs off of a 73-87 K series or rear 52" off of the same vehicle. If you swap over to a Dana 60 from a Ford, you will gain quite a bit of strength over the ifs. There will be less parts to wear out, you will not have to drag a heavy IFS cradle and crap though the mud. You will also shed a few pounds. Yes you would have a pile of cash into a SAS with a D60 and a FF14 bolt, but you not have broken parts either. With 38's the stock 10 bolt rear would grenade in no time. With a shackle flip in the back and 52" springs on the front. I think you may get the lift you want. If not, a 2" body lift should get you what you need. So you may have more than 5K in lift and axles, but you gotta pay of you want to play. Now the time to be totally and completely honest with what you want to do. I have had a blast with 2" lift and 33's on my burb. Not to steal thunder from you thread butthis is whatthe wife and I have done on 33'S
058800x600.jpg

075800x600.jpg

059800x600.jpg

30273_1319276059701_1164758236_3076.jpg

TheHoe95

Reaction score
So if I went with the SAS is it pretty easy to just add more leaves to achieve more lift? I've heard the sky is the limit in this case.
Also, do any shops offer any type of payment options with say, a grand down? I would assume not but worth a shot to ask.
I figure I could take out a personal loan on my Malibu that will more than pay for everything. I only have about 4 grand saved as of now. Whatcha think?

straight axle

Reaction score
How much of the work can you do your self?? This would bring the cost down. Can you measure, drill and weld??? If you can find a matching set of D60/D70 out a Ford that would make it easy! A D44 would work but with 38 MAY push the strength. A guy I have wheeled with uses a 44 with 38's on a K5, is rough with it and it survives. springs are easy to change and relativity cheep. If you can scrounge Craig's List you should be able to find axles springs and such.
Shackle flip
http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/shacklekit.htm
This would make a great 44/60 axle set to start with.
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/pts/2901680438.html

TheHoe95

Reaction score
I mean I could probably do some of the work myself. But I have absolutely no experience with it and don't have the tools.
But you're saying if I bought as many parts as I could before I went to the shop it would be cheaper? Makes sense.
Now I guess I just have to put together a parts list of compatible parts. Axles, shackles, leaf springs..

straight axle

Reaction score
Yes! compile all your parts. I personally have parts for FOUR! projects in my garages. It helps to have a understanding wife that is a gear head too!
Check Craigslist for 73-87 4" lift kits, I have picked up 4" springs for $50 before. the shackle flip is easy, drill out a few rivets replace the bracket with the new one wala! The front end I'd have a shop do if you are not mechanically inclined.

TheHoe95

Reaction score
Alright man sounds like a plan.
Buy d60's, I'd prefer them front and rear.
Shackles, enough leaf springs to achieve the lift I want.
A also assume I'll need to have longer driveshafts?
Upgrade my steering? Sway bar maybe?

straight axle

Reaction score
Alright man sounds like a plan.
Buy d60's, I'd prefer them front and rear.
Shackles, enough leaf springs to achieve the lift I want.
A also assume I'll need to have longer driveshafts?
Upgrade my steering? Sway bar maybe?

You have a heck of a plan there 60/60 combo is a great plan! New shaft will most likely be needed. The front end will need to have a HI steer set up I think the fords had them from the factory. No sway bar needed if just a mud truck. My burb runs with out one, and drives just fine, with as much lift as you want to have one if driven on the street. That will be one bad Tahoe when you are done!!!

TheHoe95

Reaction score
Alright. I'll start collecting parts when I'm back stateside.
I'll also post pics. Like a before, during and after type deal.
Thanks for the help man. I'll come back to this site if I need any more questions answered!

straight axle

Reaction score
Keep your head down. Thanks for serving. I see you are Army, What MOS? I'm Air National Guard now, F-15 Crew Chief.

TheHoe95

Reaction score
Infantry. Qualified for nearly every job in the army. But I went to the recruiter with one mos in mind. The boots on the ground. The main fighting force.
Proud to serve. Good to see a fellow brother in arms too :)

straight axle

Reaction score
That take a lot of honor to willingly jump into the fight:happy160: Cannot wait to see some progress pics when you get back!

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get home Safe, and Have fun with your truck....