Which Aftermarket Nav? You vote, I buy!

Which one should I buy?

• Pioneer AVIC Z-3

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • Kenwood DNX 8120

Votes: 15 37.5%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I'm ordering my aftermarket navigation system tomorrow. Like the title says, you vote for whichever one you think I should go with and I will buy that one. I am split between these two systems:

Pioneer AVIC Z-3:http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=182350&i=130AVICZ3&tp=144

Kenwood DNX 8120: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=182350&i=113DNX8120&tp=144

I have to admit I am leaning towards the Kenwood DNX 8120. However the Pioneer offers this cool MSN Direct service that gives you live updates of weather, traffic, movie times, gas prices etc. The Kenwood offers a similar service through XM however I'm not sure how it compares. So give me your opinions (and votes) and I will buy that one, install it and post pics!:thumbsup:

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I liked the style of the big touchscreen instead of the smaller screen surrounded by controls, buttons and knobs.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definatly Pioneer. The Traffic, weather, etc updates are worth their weight in gold. Plus i think it looks cleaner than the kenwood.

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come on guys I need some votes. Only about 5 or 6 hours until I order.

jazejeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the z3 and its the best go for it ....
sometimes i wonder why i have it though im still learning how to use it everyday i stumble across something new on iteveryday. plus when you do buy it nobody tells you how much more you have to spend to get all the harnesses..so this is your warning.on top of the money i spent on the unit i spent almost $400 on the extras
xm,onstar,blue-tooth.installation kit,antenna adapter etc....

Last edited:

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really jeff? How's the navigation on it, another guy posted in another thread and said Pioneer GPS navigation sucks, but their sound is good. Is this true?

jazejeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like it...all of my cars have navs in them and this one is just as easy to use
just have to play with it for while and you will get use to it

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K, is the sound quality good? I have the bose system and I am hearing Ill need some special connectors because I have bose, thats what the guy who im ordering from is telling me.

jazejeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might want to check into the blue-tooth units for both i just heard last week the pioneer blue-tooth'ss are on national back order..
if blue tooth is a concern for you this might be a problem.

jazejeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K, is the sound quality good? I have the bose system and I am hearing Ill need some special connectors because I have bose, thats what the guy who im ordering from is telling me.

i took out my bose so im not sure about that ,but it wouldn't surprise me about that special cable those dam harneses add up!!!

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might want to check into the blue-tooth units for both i just heard last week the pioneer blue-tooth'ss are on national back order..
if blue tooth is a concern for you this might be a problem.

How long does it take if they are on national back order? Thats not too big of a concern for me, I can wait on it as long as its an easy install when I get it in, is it? Yea he was saying the connector or whatever costs like 100 bucks, that blows. Thanks for all the help!

bvilchez

Reaction score
Z3 ALL THE WAY!!!!! Pioneer is way ahead with it current competition on the market.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The Z3 is a nice unit. I've installed both units in numerous vehicles and have to say I like the Pioneer unit better. I've also had more customer complaints from the Kenwood model vs Pioneer, most saying they don't like the user interface/menu layout in general and Kenwood's poor customer service.

BGinFL

Reaction score
I would not vote for either one.. Get a Garmin Nuvi 700 or 800 series.. Way ahead of the others in routing and features.

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys so i think I'm going with ya'lls pick, the AVIC Z3! The guy installing it for me is gonna do the whole deal for about 1475 installed and out the door. I am also gonna buy an ipod adapter and blue tooth adapter. Overall its gonna cost me 1600 to buy all this and install it through my buddy. Does this sound like a good deal to you guys? Thanks for all the input!

pastuki

Reaction score
Nav System

Ok, here you go for what it's worth. Last year I purchased a Pioneer windshield mount Nav. It was horrible! It was new to the market but left a lot to be desired. I kept it 2 weeks and traded it in for the Magellan 4040 (I think). It was better but still not great. A week later I finally bit the bullet and bought a Garmin 680. Best product on the market hands down! 3 months ago I sold me Excursion and bought an 08 Denali XL. Love the truck! HATE the in-dash GPS. I have been using them side by side and the Garmin blows it away! It's more accurate, easier to use, more features, traffic, gas prices, weather.... etc... By far buy the Garmin. My in-dash is still there but I NEVER use it!

SOrry for the rant but it is a great product! Can't speak for the 700 or 800 series but I would bet they are great also!

Mike