Whining noise from frontend 04 LT AWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigchevyman24

Reaction score
Hello to all!!!

I just purchased an 04 Tahoe LT decked out in PRISTINE condition, but it has a whine in the front of it. At first, I was thinking the bearings, but it only does it when torque is applied to the powertrain. I can hear it when accelerating at around 1500-2000rpm and when the transmission is holding a gear when decelerating. For example, I can let off the gas and start slowing down and hear it. Pop it in neutral and it goes away. I can barely feel a vibration under the drivers side too. This is the All-Wheel drive version with autoride and stability unit. I'm worried it may be the tranny or something in the transfer case. I have a 4k mile/4 month drivetrain warranty from the place I bought it from.

Also, for you guys with the allwheel drive, is the light supposed to be on the middle button while running down the road?

By the way, my tahoe has 47k miles on it, but I think it was towed behind a camper some if this helps diagnose.

Bought it today for $13,775 plus tax, title, fees, and negative equity from my trade. Here's a link to it with pictures: http://www.jimskinnerford.com/detail-2004-chevrolet-tahoe-lt-3528429.html

Thanks alot in advance!!!

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure it's not a Four wheel drive? It sounds like the ring and pinion is bad in a differential (axle gears). You just described the symptoms. Almost want to say it's the back one and you hear it bouncing forward, but it can be the front gears. Sounds like all that pulling it like a trailer did a number on them, which it would. You are driving it on dry pavement in 2WD, right? Because you're asking about I guess the transfer case shift position? It should be in 2-High. But that (in 4) would give you binding at axles and then transfer case. None of this has anything to do with the Autoride or Stabilitrak.
Sounds like you need to take full advantage of that warranty while it lasts.

Bigchevyman24

Reaction score
The autoride tahoe's don't have a 4hi or auto button. Just 3 buttons: The stabilitrak, a button with 4 wheels on it and a 4lo button. Only the last two have lights beside them for you to engage that button. The stabilitrak button only turns off the stability system. I'm pretty sure it's in all-wheel drive all the time. Maybe I should give them a call back and see if I can get it checked out at a GM dealership since they are a Ford dealership.

Bigchevyman24

Reaction score
I was thinking something in the front diff. But, wouldn't that whine all the time, even when going down the road not on the gas at all? Thanks for the replies!

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the button with 4 wheels on it is 4 High, I would think. And if it has 4 Low it's a 4WD, not AWD, I would think. You should post a pic of the switch to be sure. And GMTech48 is probably right, says it's common. And no they don't whine all the time, they tend to act up or pronounce under load.

VaTahoeLt

Reaction score
I would put money on your front diff. carrier bearings...very common, done many.

I was thinking something in the front diff. But, wouldn't that whine all the time, even when going down the road not on the gas at all? Thanks for the replies!

had the same exact issue with my 04 LT and after 3 attempts at the dealership they finally got it fixed. my problem was that it would only make the noise after the truck was warm.

anyways, they replaced the pinion bearing over a year ago and no issues since.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score

scomo

Reaction score
I too own an '04 tahoe with AWD and I also have the whine in the front end. I did some reading in the manual about this and the manual actually says that a low "moaning" type noise is normal in the AWD models. I'm a fairly new member, but I've done a lot of reading on this subject and I hear a lot of the same symptoms on these AWD models. I would bet these AWD Tahoe's have a different transfer case in them than those in the 4wd models. Whatever it is about these AWD transfer cases just makes them hum... my $.02:thumbsup:

Bigchevyman24

Reaction score
I too own an '04 tahoe with AWD and I also have the whine in the front end. I did some reading in the manual about this and the manual actually says that a low "moaning" type noise is normal in the AWD models. I'm a fairly new member, but I've done a lot of reading on this subject and I hear a lot of the same symptoms on these AWD models. I would bet these AWD Tahoe's have a different transfer case in them than those in the 4wd models. Whatever it is about these AWD transfer cases just makes them hum... my $.02:thumbsup:

I'm sure a little humming is normal, but I took mine in and they replaced the carrier bearings...noise is now gone. Just for anyone looking for the answer to a whining noise...I would suggest the bearings in the front. Thanks for all the help!!!

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front diff will lose tension from the initial adjustment which causes a variance in the gear pattern, thus creating gear whine from the front axle under load. My truck did this when I bought it and stopped after I changed the diffs out for royal purple. Not really an issue unless the noise gets really loud, otherwise I'm hoping to blow mine up and get mine rebuilt under warranty. I wouldn't worry about it since I'm almost over 100k and it still drives fine, shop should charge from $350-$550 depending on what needs to be replaced (carrier bearings, pinion bearings, ring/pinion gear, seals, etc).

Chevycoty

Reaction score
I also have a 2004 Tahoe which is also Awd. The whining noise is common and if it helps I have taken out the front drive shaft out to see if i could drive without it, when I removed the driveshaft it wouldn't even move. My understanding is that the transfer case has to have resistance from the front wheels for the rear wheels to even move. Also if u open the hood on the front plastic cover above the grill it should say that awd vehicles are not to be used on a dyno for two wheel drive vehicles. That indicates that u have an awd vehicle.