Whistling sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjung

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a question and I was hoping that someone can help me. I have a 2000 Tahoe 5.3 engine with 55,000 original miles. I am also the original owner. I have always babied this car and performed timely maintanance. On and off over the last year I have been getting a whistling sound from the rear of the Tahoe. I suspect it to be the fuel pump. I replaced the fuel filter a year ago and it stopped the whistling for awhile but now it's back. Does this mean that I should immediately have it replaced or is this kind of a normal thing? I am somewhat of a back-yard mechanic so if replacement is recommended, can I do it myself. Is there a gas additive that will help? I'm concerned because my mother is very ill and lives in Chicago...we live in St George Utah...almost 1700 miles away. Unfortunately, I'm sure that we may be making a drive back east soon and I really don't want to make a very unpleasant trip complicated with car problems. Thankyou for any input.

dz2a8r

Reaction score
the fuel pumps in these things can be quite noisy at times, ive heard them make noise on brand new vehichcles and vehs with a million miles, change your filter on a regular basis 30-60k miles and youll most likely never have a problem with the pump

cjung

Reaction score
Thankyou very much for your reply. I still haven't replaced the fuel pump because I'm just trying to get an idea of what is going on with it. At times, we can drive the Tahoe for 80 miles or short trips and I don't hear a thing coming from the fuel pump...and sometimes after making a few short trips it whines. It's very strange. I don't want to get stuck somewhere but at the same time, I don't want to throw $700-$800 out the window.

0352Marine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might try and run some seafoam fuel additive to your tank and see if that helps. or if you have the 5.3L flexfuel run a tank of ethanol and see if that helps.

cjung

Reaction score
I can get the GM pump for $311 and another $156 for the install. I plan on having it done next week. I guess I agree with everyone...the pump is 11 yo and why take a chance. Thanks everyone.

blackdiamond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, GM's pump is no better than quality aftermarket units. Why pay double just to have the Delco label on your pump assym?