Who's the genius at GM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That decided that the cover to the air filter should be screwed on?
And to really make it a bonehead idea the screws are star screws.

Every car I have ever had used wingnuts or some type of clip to access the air filter. You didn't need tools. Especially some esoteric screwdriver.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its your car now you put whatever screw you want. personally I got rid the air box and replaced it with a K&N intake.

Last edited:

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a minor headache.
I'm just surprised that some engineer at GM is so damn stupid to design it this way. I hope that engineer didn't design anything important.

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a minor headache.
I'm just surprised that some engineer at GM is so damn stupid to design it this way. I hope that engineer didn't design anything important.

Who knows, maybe he designed oil fill cap!!:smilielol: :smilielol:

MSherr23

Reaction score
They designed it this way so people who don't have any tools or the knowledge to go buy the specific tool will have to go somewhere (preferably the dealer) in order to replace the filter, which translates into more income for the dealer for doing basically no work at all.

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They designed it this way so people who don't have any tools or the knowledge to go buy the specific tool will have to go somewhere (preferably the dealer) in order to replace the filter, which translates into more income for the dealer for doing basically no work at all.

Where there is a will there is a way!! No matter what they do we will still find our way to accomplish what we want!:thumbsup:

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score

:iagree:

My best guess as well...

They (dealership) always try and make you come back even for the simple things. Like when I had a headlight go out in my Nissan, the svc tech just flat out told me not to even waste my time bringing it in because it would cost $200 + parts (bulb = $50 alone!!!:ack:) -- said they had to remove the bumper to get to the headlight and charge 1.5 hrs of labor. After opting to take his advice, I bought the part, took it to a local mechanic friend of a friend and he popped the air filter box off and reached down and plugged the bulb right in--which took all of 10 minutes to do! :wow: Just plain idiotic, I think. How do they get 1.5 hrs from putting a headlight in?!! :skep: There should be laws against things like this... :cuss:

Snomon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone should know that the service side of dealership is where a lot if not most of the revenue comes in. If people don't already know, why do you think servicewriters are "commission based"? I've heard really good servicewriters make $120k-200k easily. Sure beats being a service tech.

They are there for the upsell (especially when you are at 15k, 30k, 60k miles) and their job is to charge "an hour and a half" to get at that air filter or bulb. Isn't commerce grand?

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody got it right

Interestingly enuf the GM Perf. Parts CAI has large head Phillips screws. :cool: