Why not more splash guards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbrown02

Reaction score
From many of the pics I've seen on this forum, most of you don't have splash guards on your vehicles. I'm curious as to why?

I'm going to put them on my new Denali XL.

Thanks

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wondered the same thing. Main thing I came up with is that it's perhaps because they're expensive. I dunno; I think they look cool...

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards them. Every time I dress the tires the side of the truck shows traces of it, very annoying.

Gman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fort Worth, Texas "Where the West Begins"
:yesnod: The reason I installed the molded mud guards is because I'm lazy. I've got better things to do in retirement then clean road tar and other crud off all four corners of the wife's Hoe. Damn, it's hard enough to keep the dirt magnet rear lift gate clean. :eek:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, and of course they do keep the crap off the sides of the truck. ;) I've noticed it stays cleaner between washes, generally speaking, with these installed. Also, one tip I got yesterday w/r/t tire dressing is to try these (which I havent done just yet but will once the rain goes away)...

Ech0

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards them. Every time I dress the tires the side of the truck shows traces of it, very annoying.

Yeah, this bugs the crap out of me too.

GM Mud flaps are in my future....I just keep forgetting to do it.

OStateFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the fact that they keep stuff off of the sides, but I really like the clean lines without them installed.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup -- one of the reasons I suppose I delayed in getting them. Just wasn't sure how they'd look. Then I finally saw one Silver Birch Denali with a set and I thought, man that looks pretty nice. So, yeah, they don't look too bad, and you don't see many with the color-matched ones driving around, so it's a small way to set yourself apart I suppose...while keeping much of the crap off the sides and rear "quarter panel".

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't like mudflaps that much, because most that I've seen ruin the lines. I just like my Hoe's clean!:smilielol: :Chevy:

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To each is own but I'm just not much on the look of mud guards.. I just keep a good coat of NXT on mine, that makes it easy to clean and still keep that sport look

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have them due to going off-road. I use a spray-on-wipe-off while the truck is wet wax on those areas prone to catch debris. It only takes seconds, literally, and allows the debis to rinse off easily when washed.

sbrown02

Reaction score
This will be my first set on an SUV, so I'm hoping they do keep the tar and dirt off the side as I've had problems with that in the past. Thanks everyone for the responses.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want mud flaps since I go off road. However, they do not make specific mud flaps for the Z71 yet. The OE tires that came with the Z71 package really kicks up rocks that hit the doors. It will only get worse when I change them out for more agressive tread pattern.

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting take, Zed. My experience is the flaps will get torn off quite soon (perhaps causing slight damage) and they also prevent mud from clearing the lugs as is builds up on the flaps.