Will 5% tint on the front windows pass a state inspection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I agree with JKMotorsports but
1. The front windows tint law in Texas is 25%...

You're right...I just noticed my mistake in the previous post. It's 25% along the front sides in Tx.

Travelin Man

Reaction score
New guy here, and I think that everyone has the right idea ... the laws obviously vary greatly from state to state. Here in Virginia, SUV's and pickup's are allowed to have windows as dark as desired behind the driver's shoulders, but must have 50% on the driver and passenger side glass.

As far as Luis' post about the local PD having dark tinted windows, you might check the state laws to see if law enforcement is exempt from tint laws. Here in Virginia, they are, but you generally only see K9 and surveillance cars with anything darker than 35%, if any tint at all.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in sc our law states the legal limit is 27% VLT (visual light transmission)

exceptions:
1) the back side windows of a mpv have no limit (multi-passenger vehicle; 3 or more
passengers)
2) front windshield nothing below AS1 line (it can be 0% vinyl if u want)
3) medical exemption can be obtained thru a licensed ophthamologist (all eye
doctors i talked to said it was only for albino people that are so sensitive to light they can't go outside without special sunglasses) i need to try the migraine excuse, lol

the thing cops use to check your vlt slides over the glass so they can only check windows that roll down because it slides over the edge of the glass. im not sure if the inspection people have a different one but the cops can't check my back window or my windshield here in sc with their "pocket detective 2.0". south carolina has no vehicle inspection.

i had the windshield tinted on my lowrider s10 when i was in high school. i tried 20% regular tint the first time but the guy who did it sucked and it had bubbles, so when some state trooper pulled me for it he could tell right away. i later got it done by a buddy that owns a tint shop. that's the way to go. he used 45% mirror film (platinum/chrome color) and i was skeptical at first but it turned out to be phuckin' awesome. he got a glass shop to deliver a new windshield to his shop to be tinted before installation so as not to get ANY bubbles. he ordered one with the ppg logo in the center too, so the cop doesn't notice the edges around the raised lettering which is usually right next to the vin number (which the cop reads when u get pulled). because the windshield is angled (unlike the other windows on a truck), u don't have to go dark at all to make people unable to see in the vehicle. from inside the truck u couldn't even tell it was tinted at all aside from the micro-edge around the lettering "AS1". it was very stealth and made my 20% tint on the other windows look like 5%. i didn't like the dark window tint on the windshield when driving down dark country roads with no street lights, but it did look damn good. i could see great out of all windows at night and u could only see outlines in the daytime from outside the truck.

Last edited:

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, good information.

I am also in Texas and want my front windows darker.

What level tint is on all the windows already? (on a 08 Hybrid)

35 all around?

I am thinking about going 20 all around (except the front of course)

Also, where in Texas does a good job? Earmark would not tint mine below 30.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know about the hybrid but in 2007, the front was 70%. It's listed on each piece of glass.