Will 5% tint on the front windows pass a state inspection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moneymayweather

Reaction score
What kind of medical papers? And what does everyone do that has this tint? I see a lot of people on here who have it. What do all of you do when state inspection time comes around?
Thank you for any replies.

spridell

Reaction score
I live in NY and have had tints on all of the cars i have ever owned. One car had 20% one had 35% and my Denali has 15%. All cars have ALWAYS passed inspection. They dont care if you have tints on your windows during and inspection.

chadlewis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Louisiana we have papers that will allow one to be exempt from any tint violation i.e. fair skin, headaches/migraines, stuff of that sort. I have 5% on windshield and everywhere else and the exemption so I'm never worried about any cops and when i get it inspected i just show them the papers and they pass it.

spridell

Reaction score
Yeah here in NY its ilegal and a cop will give you a ticket for it. But when it comes to the inspection the place that is doing the inspection wont give you a problem about the tints.

tint2sell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as a tint installer, 5% is not legal on the front doors in any state, medical or not

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it depends on where you go, 2 years ago on my old z71 silverado i had limo all around and they didnt say anything, 2 months ago my mom takes her denali in to get inspected and didnt pass with 18% on the front even tho our legal here is 25%. ive had limo and darker on 4 of my trucks and ive only gotten pulled over once and they just gave me a warning for it. and lately i usually dont keep a truck longer than 2 years so i havent had to get them inspected.

solidgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you get these medical exemptions from your physician? I don't want anything too deep tinted, but I am sick of getting tickets in my other cars....

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what i hear in texas you can get your eye doctor to give you a note and then you goto your dot office and they give you a pass of some sort.

Luis

Reaction score
What I have noticed here in mississippi is 9 out 10 police ( county,state,etc..) are tinted with what looks like 5%. So the way I look at it how can they give me a ticket for tint when they are tinted. I put 15% on my 08 black hoe to match the factory 18%. When you look FROM THE OUTSIDE IN your looking through 2 tinted windows but if you open the door and look through just that door its not that dark. Just my 2cents...

BDennis

Reaction score
I am also from Mississippi cops here don't bother you about tint. My 4runner was 5 percent and I was pulled over a few times for speeding and what not but they never mentioned tint. We do have to have an inspection sticker and in my area you cant get the sticker until it has been checked by a meeter. Luckily I use to work at a dealership, during the summer so I can get mine regardless.

moneymayweather

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies. Just to reaffirm, I'm trying to get feedback strictly on people taking their cars in to get the STATE INSPECTION. I'm not worried about the cops. I'm in Texas by the way.

BDennis

Reaction score
I have a few friends in Texas, and they have dark tint. One has a new LTZ with double 5% tint. All of them have their state inspection stickers. I am not sure if they had any trouble or not but they are in Houston I dont know if that makes a difference.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I have a few friends in Texas, and they have dark tint. One has a new LTZ with double 5% tint. All of them have their state inspection stickers. I am not sure if they had any trouble or not but they are in Houston I dont know if that makes a difference.
Depends on where you go. The law is 35% on the front two windows in Tx. Inspection stations are supossed to measure the light transmission through the tint. DPS is very strict and will pull you over for illegal tint. Some troopers will only give u a warning and others will ticket you. Sometimes you'll get a hardcore wanna be and they'll slice your tint with a razor blade to make sure you remove it.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with JKMotorsports but
1. The front windows tint law in Texas is 25%.
2. With both the left and right side mirrors, the rear sides all the way to the rear lift gate window are any darkness.
3. The winshield is any darkness as long as its above at AS1 line!

I printed out proof from the TX DPS website and put it in my glove, so if I ever get pulled over, all I have to do is show the officer/trooper.