Wind Noise Through Driver's Side Door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have this problem? Any fixes?

I've noticed this at time with my 07, but I think it's due to the mirror vibrating. I believe there's a TSB for this issue. Where around the window/door is it most noticeable?

gibbynd

Reaction score
Do you notice the high wind noise when your fan blower is on high as well? I did, and took it in. They found there was a piece of foam missing around the pin on the outside door handle. Wind would get in and whirl inside the door and create a high whine. This solved my problem. They checked the weather stripping on the window, and made sure the door was aligned (this was a problem on some Escalades.) Hope this helps. I have an 07 Denali.

glock33s

Reaction score
Naw, it literally sounds like the Window is down while the truck is in motion. It starts around 40 MPH and continues from there. It drives me crazy.

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem but the wind noise seems to come from the passenger side. It sounds like I have a window down.

I haven't sucked it up and taken it into the dealer yet. I'm still under warranty and I'll have to do that soon.

dilly

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Tahoe that has the wind noise around the drivers side door. Had it in one time and they replaced the window channel, but didnt fix the problem. Someone recommended using a dollar bill and close it into the door to check for loose fit.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

gibbynd

Reaction score
Is it a high pitched noise? I had them test everything, even a dollar bill. Nothing worked until they found foam missing around the pin on the door handle. It always sounded like my window was slightly cracked open, and noticed additional noise as well when the fan blew on high. Once they put the foam in, wind stopped getting into the door frame and the sound has since disappeared. I know a lot of people are saying it is the frame or insulation, but in my case it was the foam on the pin of door handle.

dilly

Reaction score
wind noise

Thanks for the information. It is not a high pitched sound, more like wind blowing through an opening. They changed the window channel, but didnt help. I'll check out the door handle. Can you see the foam from the outside?

96 ho

Reaction score
I had this problem- The weather stripping around the door wasn't forming a good seal when I shut the door.

All I did was buy a new strip and used some silicon around the edges to keep it down and the sound went away.

96 ho

Reaction score
Mine is a 96- but the principle is the same. You can also use smoke from a cigar to see if you are getting any wind. (it is easy to see the smoke move/ blow away from a slight crack)

gibbynd

Reaction score
Mine was an 07 Denali. You can't really see the foam at first glace - quite honestly, I didn't even know it was on the handle at the pin location. The service guy test drove it, heard the wind noise, adn found a bulletin that talked about the foam piece. They said that wind would get inside the door frame through the opening in the handle, thus creating the wind noise.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 01 and I ended up taking it to a body shop to see what they could do. They said that since the hinge wasnt adjustable there wasnt much they could do. I guess it happens alot on the chevys. he did say that If i rolled my window down and tried pulling on the top of the door it might bend the door to were its supposed to be. I tried, not too hard cause I didnt want to break anything, and it didnt realy work. I ended up buying some of that foam door crack sealer at walmart(the kind that rolls up not the spray stuff) and that worked pretty well.

dilly

Reaction score
i found the wind noise and it happended to be an after market bug deflector!!

BJC7JR

Reaction score
Roof rack cross rails can also cause a similar problem. I just rip the damn things off and i am going to take the main rails off soon too. If you want them on and they are causeing an issue with noise you can cock them a little bit, so they are slightly off from perpendicular to the main rails. this doesn't let them move as much. Mine made more of a fluttering wind noise before i did this.

rigged4fun

Reaction score
I noticed the same wind problem in my '07 Tahoe. I have had the dealer look at it, but they weren't able to find a problem. I'll do a check of the weatherstripping around the door. Thanks