Yes another exhaust question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jsho13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to buy a flowmaster muffler. I have narrowed it down to a 50 series but which one do I buy for a 04 Denali? Does anyone have the part number so I can order one? I decided against cat back because from what I have read, the stock piping is large enough in diameter to flow good enough. Not really looking for performance, just looking for a nice exhaust tone.

I am pretty impartial to flowmaster, I had one on my TA and loved the sound. The 50 series shouldn't be too loud correct?

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the 50 series # 530504 on my 2003 Yukon, LOVE it....not as loud as the 40 series, but added a nice rumble/tone....

and correct, with a 3" in and dual 2.5" out, more than enough diameter, so no need for catback.

Jsho13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would that be the same for a denali? Thanks for the response

Jsho13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I am very impartial to flowmaster in general. I had one in my TA and on my buddies trucks. Can't beat the sound.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has an awesome sound and now that mine has been on for about a year, it sounds downright mean sometimes. People who drive trucks 10x louder than mine still love the tone.

Jsho13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked under the Denali yesterday and noticed that it was dual inlet, dual outlet. I'm not the best with exhaust stuff but I am just trying to find the right muffler and take it to a shop and get it welded up. Think the dual in dual out matters, or would a muffler shop somehow modify it to single in dual out? Thanks

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like this? part #524554

d_d_60.jpg

Jsho13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes very similar, it looked almost like it was 3" dual in and 3" dual out. I can't find a website that tells exactly muffler would fit a 04 Denali.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you want duals get a dual in/out otherwise the denali has a dual in/single out. I have a magnaflow catback but this is the style of muffler you'll want, any exhaust shop should be able to weld up a flowmaster 50 series for $150 or so
15734_lg.jpg

The 5.3's use a single/single system
15666_lg.jpg

Jsho13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you want duals get a dual in/out otherwise the denali has a dual in/single out. I have a magnaflow catback but this is the style of muffler you'll want, any exhaust shop should be able to weld up a flowmaster 50 series for $150 or so

3" all around or 3" in and 2.5" out. I looked under but I'm not the best judge on exit diameter. I guess I was confused because the stock muffler has Dual in and Dual out. Right after leaving the muffler the two dual outs go into a single y pipe but I guess that the dual outs would be pointless if I am going to go with a single side exit set up. I want it to look just like stock, just sound different:crazy:

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at Flowmaster.com under mufflers, mine is 3" in, dual 2.5" out as well, figured Denali's were the same...??

stockergt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran into the same problem on my denali, they have a different exhaust then the all the others. I have an 05 Denail and yes it is a dual in dual out and I believe it is 2.75 in and 3 out. I did a magnaflow 18in dual in Single out, I just bought a replacement tail pipe for regular yukon and had my friend weld it all up. I know the flowmaster is quieter but mine has way to much cabin drone. I think by the time I was done I spent about $180, but now I am going to add a aero turbine resonator to help with the drone. Just make sure that you get the right size muffler!

gmoney_2010

Reaction score
Ok im new to the whole customization stuff so I have a couple questions..
1) What is a catback?

Im going to be getting that 03 tahoe in a few months that I started a thread about a couple months ago anyways im interested in the exhaust to give a little mpg boost and a little more sound, from what ive read it sounds like the flowmaster 50 series is what i want..

So are you guys saying that you would just need the muffler itself and not the whole exhaust kit?

ghostface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) What is a catback?

Im going to be getting that 03 tahoe in a few months that I started a thread about a couple months ago anyways im interested in the exhaust to give a little mpg boost and a little more sound, from what ive read it sounds like the flowmaster 50 series is what i want..

So are you guys saying that you would just need the muffler itself and not the whole exhaust kit?

catback, means the exhaust starts from the end of your catalytic converter back. or you could just buy a muffler and have it welded in.

Jsho13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) What is a catback?

Yeah some people go with a full cat back, some go with just a muffler. The stock Denali exhaust (not sure if its different from tahoe) is large enough in diameter. There is really no need for a cat back because stock flows enough. Its all a matter of how much money you want to spend really. If you have the cash, go with the cat back. I like others do not have the money to spend on a cat back, therefore I am just going to go muffler.