02 Tahoe Won't Start - Need some help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austexparts

Reaction score
I have a 02 Tahoe that wont start. I thought maybe I ran it out of gas (the low fuel light was on), so I added about 4 gallons and it still won't start. I hear the fuel pump come on. The engine turns over, and when the engine turns over a little black smoke comes out. I check all the fuses and I didn't find any what were blown. Any ideas? I read that it could be the Passlock system? Or the BCM? By the way what is the BCM? Any help would be greatly appreciated....Thanks

Last edited:

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
BCM= Body Control Module.

You ran your truck outta gas. All was right before, I'm assuming. I would check your fuel filter.

The black smoke is from unburnt fuel. Check to be sure that your truck has spark.

austexparts

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm curious, if I'm getting black smoke form unburnt fuel, I would assume that the engine is getting fuel. Could the filter be a problem? I hear my fuel pump coming on when I turn the key, could it still be bad?

u2nv

Reaction score
motors really relly on fuel psi to run even though you here pump may not be enough psi. get a psi gauge and hook it up to shraider valve on pass side under eng cover engines with vin code V,T,U is 55-62 psi and vin Z is48-54 psi that is key on engine off specs. then u can also check for spark. if you need anything else or you get awnser to these steps and need to go further in diag let me know.

Fortune50

Reaction score
How many miles on it? Truck's tune is up to date? Checked for spark yet? Does the tachometer move while it's cranking over? This can point to a problem w/ the crank sensor if it doesn't move.

disem

Reaction score
When my Tahoe is left with little fuel it won't start before I fill at least 1/4 of the tank!!! That's 4-5 gallons.

austexparts

Reaction score
figured it out

It turned out to be a passlock issue I think. I read somewhere if you put the key in the ignition and leave it in the on position it resets the passlock. So I left the key in the on position for about an hour and it started right up.

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another tidbit to file away for future battles with these computerized contrivances.:mpr:

Thanks.

Ed