03 Z71- ever hear this noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hendedo

Reaction score
Hello all.
03 Z71, 5.3L, 106K miles, all stock.
Hearing a squeaking / bird chirping noise from the front of the truck. Pulled the wheels to check the front brake pads; they are fine. Looked for loose heat shields or brackets; none.
Seems to be from the passenger front area.
Not related to engine speed; not related to vehicle speed; can do it cold ot hot; it is intermittent and happens if driving straight or making a turn to the left. Lasts about 1-4 seconds.
Today I WD40ed the idler pulley (near alternator) where it mounts on its shaft, and I did the serpintine belt tensioner with the WD40 too. Then I saw a tensioner near the A/C and sprayed it too.

Anyone else hear a chirping, high pitch squeaking and what was wrong with it? Thank You.

clkelley

Reaction score
First, IMHO, WD-40 on the belt is a bad thing. But go to the auto parts store and get a "Stethoscope" probe tool. Using this tool you can place the probe at the end of it to the mounting bolts on each pulley and listen to them to attempt to narrow down where the sound is coming from. Try to also listen to the AC pulley and water pump pulley as well as they could also be to blame. BE CAREFUL not to touch the fan!

Dutov

Reaction score
To be honest, it sounds like an idler pulley. They can be very intermitant.

stormjake

Reaction score
This happened to our '95 tahoe and it was the fan for the ac under the dash on the passenger side. Replaced ourselves, great videos on youtube. If this is what it is, your fan will eventually stop and if you smack the black plastic it will start again. Until the plastic piece is completely worn.