'03 z71 snapped foglight bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silky

Reaction score
Hey all, was removing foglight and one of the two bolts that mount the light broke off. It looks like the bolt is pressed into the bracket...is it possible to hammer the broken bolt our and replace it?

Flying Dutchman

Reaction score
Hi Silky, yes it is easy actually the bolts are not pressed inn, but merely inserted.
When you tried to loosen up the nut on the bolt-pin, the whole pin started to turn and forced itself in the sidewalls of the plastic. I had the same problem. You can easily turn the pin back a bit with a pliers and then you can take out the pin and replace with new one. I found complete replacement fog units incl the 2 pin-bolts for 18 bucks. :)

silky

Reaction score
Hi Silky, yes it is easy actually the bolts are not pressed inn, but merely inserted.
When you tried to loosen up the nut on the bolt-pin, the whole pin started to turn and forced itself in the sidewalls of the plastic. I had the same problem. You can easily turn the pin back a bit with a pliers and then you can take out the pin and replace with new one. I found complete replacement fog units incl the 2 pin-bolts for 18 bucks. :)

I think we are talking about different things. I think you are talking about the plastic pins that hold the bracket to the foglight. The bolt I snapped is one of the two that mounts the entire assembly to the bumper...they go through the bumper and are secured with nuts (I think 10mm).

The bolt is actually not pressed into the bracket but is welded to it with 3 spot welds. I managed to get it out with an air chissel, hammer and some other tools. My problem now is what the replace the bolt with since there is no access to the bolt head once installed so a nut and bolt will just spin.

I'm going to try putting a speed nut on the bracket and install the bolt from the other side. Failing that I will hold bolt threads withvice grips while I tighten bolt.

Flying Dutchman

Reaction score
Right, i see what you mean. Apparently i have also a different mounting of mine, since on my truck they are assembled with a bolt straight through the bumper, but fastened into a metal clip with fixed nut on it. The clip slides over the edge or side of the bumper and that s it. Can't you not use a bolt with a big washer so the bolt's head will still be accessable so you can fasten the nut. Good luck with it.