07 Tahoe Trans Clunk/Bump when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FunkyMunky

Reaction score
So I have an 07 Tahoe with 108k miles. When starting from a stop, applying a normal amount of throttle, in the first 10 - 20 mph I hear/feel a clunk while in first gear. This clunk can occur once or twice. Its not during the shift from 1 st - 2nd or 2nd - 3rd. Its while accelerating and also at relatively low speeds. I have had my drive shaft lubed and inspected and that initially helped. Also, in reverse when accelerating I hear this same clunk once or twice all before 10 mph. Now, when accelerating up a hill or reversing up a hill this clunk is always more prominent. It does not always do this, but its also not hard to replicate. I did buy the 100K mile warranty when I purchased the tahoe 6 months ago at 96k miles. I have been to their mechanic once and as stated above they serviced the drive shaft and reset/reprogrammed the computer for the trans. It was better for a while but now its back to the same old. They are not going to want to replace the trans so they will make $$$ off of me purchasing the warranty at 2K. If they have to, it will be at a cost of $100 to me. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the problem is the slip yoke and they didn't use a silicone base grease it will continue to have that clunk they may also want to check the engine and transmission mounts.. what you can do is with hood open parking brake on and left foot on brake pedal drop it into drive and snap the throttle to see if the engine has a significant raise then do it in reverse if so its going to be the engine mounts and also recommend tje the trans mount

redhawk

Reaction score
+1 for checking for broken motor mount, common in 07+ GM FS SUV's