08 yukon oil life??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1stimeyukon

Reaction score
So, i bought an 08 yukon in october and havent changed the oil. i have put about 7500 miles on mostly highway but the oil life remaining says 14% left. my question is do i change it every 3000 miles or when the oil life remaining gets to zero? im not shure what kind of oil is in it beings that i bought it new and havent changed it.

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe under normal loads the factory says to replace oil every 5,000 miles. I agree if using synthetic, but with good ole' dino juice I aim for 3,000-3,500 miles. I changed my first oil out at 3,000 of very easy driving and replaced with Mobil1. If I were you, I would get the oil changed right away. Probably no harm, but 7,500 is too much. I don't trust the oil life indicator personally. Just a novelty.

Ajay

Reaction score
I believe under normal loads the factory says to replace oil every 5,000 miles. I agree if using synthetic, but with good ole' dino juice I aim for 3,000-3,500 miles. I changed my first oil out at 3,000 of very easy driving and replaced with Mobil1. If I were you, I would get the oil changed right away. Probably no harm, but 7,500 is too much. I don't trust the oil life indicator personally. Just a novelty.

I agree.

I did my 1st oil change at 3000 mi with Mobil 1 and will go to a 5000 mile schedule.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A GM engr posted once that changing mineral oil @ 50% and synthetic @ 100%. The oil life uses a complex algorithm that uses temperature, rpm, time, etc to compute the usage rate.

1stimeyukon

Reaction score
.......................... ahaha wow alright im not shure what you mean but im going to take your word for it and change the oil. thanks

DownTownDru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the owners manual says to change oil every 12 months or at 0% oil life indicator, which ever comes first. 5yr/100k powertrain warranty... so who cares? I run it down to 3-4% every time... which means I change organic oil every 9 months or so with 6k mostly city miles.

Maybe it matters if you want to keep it past the powertrain warranty... not me! :nonod:

08 Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watch the oil life monitor, but I change it when it gets down to about 20%. I don't let it get any dirtier, or less life left in the oil. Mine has been working out, so that it gets changed about every 5,000 miles.

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I go by what it says and change it at about 5% which is usually 7500 miles or so. I dont think GM would put a system like this in if it didnt work.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the oil life indicator, and get about 9,500 mile between synthetic changes. I have over 52,000 on my '07

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All 100% personal preference, but even oil companies reccomend a change before 7,500 miles. I'd like to think that oil companies are conservative in their estimates, but I don't want to change something when it has "Zero" life left. What does that mean anyway? :rolleyes: I'll stick with 5K on my synthetic. :cool2:

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I go by what it says and change it at about 5% which is usually 7500 miles or so. I dont think GM would put a system like this in if it didnt work.

You are probably right, but I don't think it's an oil change system. My guess is you hit 5K around 20% oil life remaining. I thought this is the reccomended mileage by the dealer to change. Of course oil is still good at 5K but why push it until the oil breaks down at 0%?

Heck, my ex's mother thought an oil change was changing brands when adding a quart. :lol: Damn car had 250K on it.

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are probably right, but I don't think it's an oil change system. My guess is you hit 5K around 20% oil life remaining. I thought this is the reccomended mileage by the dealer to change. Of course oil is still good at 5K but why push it until the oil breaks down at 0%?

Heck, my ex's mother thought an oil change was changing brands when adding a quart. :lol: Damn car had 250K on it.

From what I have been told that when you hit zero on the monitor the oil still has a little life left in it. They do that so that you have time to get it changed. I know on the 02's the light just comes on and tell you when to change it but if you look in the manual it says you have 600 miles I think before it has to be changed.