1999 tahoe-NO HEAT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rems99

Reaction score
whats up guys and gals? Im new to this forum so please be patient if im doing something incorrectly. I have a 1999 Tahoe Lt four door 4x4 with 5.7 litre v8. My heat has stopped working completely. Both hoses going in and coming out of heater core are hot when at normal operating temperature. Thermostat was replaced about one year ago. Coolant level is normal. Air flow changes from defrost to vents to floor like normal, just no heat. Any suggestions on what to check would be greatly appreciated!

IronMan4Real

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnect vacuum box prior to going in heater core. Get bypass valve at local hardware store. Flush out with CLR. Let sit for 10. Rinse with water and fill with pre mix dex cool. At same time replace t stat for argument sake. 30 min work tops.

rems99

Reaction score
Thanks ironman4real. Will do that. Is there a possibility of blend door actuator being bad?

IronMan4Real

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed mine. I did the t stat first because time and mileage. Did not fix issue but it's done. No need to worry about it.
The CLR did trick for me. I have a 99 and had no heat. Same issues

rems99

Reaction score
thanks for your response. I will do what you recommended.

IronMan4Real

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem! No guarantee but I had same issue. And it blasts head and being -12 Celsius here. Kinda need it

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He has hot hoses going in and out of core, suspect blend door actuator behind glove box.....

IronMan4Real

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same issue. Well the exhaust hose coming out was hot but not as hot going in. CLR is about $8 here and some antifreeze. Cant hurt to try. T stat about $9
So 30 min and $20.
Mine may have been plugged forever as it was a florida vehicle and now in Canada It needed heat for first time.
Very good chance you are right Lester1. I just suggested it because I had exact same issue and what I did repaired it.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the plugged core before, found out the hard way to flush with a garden hose not an air compressor.... Antifreeze dont taste half bad.....