1999 Tahoe oil sending unit wiring harness shortage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rachelrhoat

Reaction score
So the transmission on my tahoe went out and I got a rebuilt one to replace it. Upon replacing it we have encountered a problem:
The oil sending unit wiring harness shorted out and we can't find the direct ground. The wire is clear back to the main harness. Checked the harness to the computer and no shorts. The vehicle is a 1999 Tahoe. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also, if there is a wiring schematic available that someone could direct me to - I would be very grateful. Thanks ahead of time for any advice/input.

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome!

It sounds like a wire got pinched during the installation of the tranny, if you are certain it is a short and not the sending unit itself. Whether it is still pinched by it at this point or not, I would inspect every part of any wiring anywhere around the tranny but especially where the bell housing meets the engine. I would trace all the harness for kinks, breaks and or shorts if you haven't already and if you can't find anything in the wiring. Replace the sending unit.

rachelrhoat

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch! We will check it out when we have some sunlight and I will get back to ya.