2 door 4x4 LS motor swap ... ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WackAssLife

Reaction score
Looking to swap my 350 5.7 for an LS(?) motor and tranny setup. Any suggestions and 'know-how' about the pros and cons?????:yesnod:

WackAssLife

Reaction score
I was talking about the LS series motors, LS1/LS2/LS6. What do you think I could do with and LS2? is it possible to swap my 350 5.7 for an LS2 EFI motor?

NOFORDS

Reaction score
you can find the LQ4 for a lot cheaper. Even an LM7 is a nice upgrade to the IB5.7

Be advised that there is some wiring involved in the swap as with any engine that doesn't belong in that particular vehicle. Mounts and swap parts are available IIRC.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
because an LS swap is easy as pie

I'm kinda interested in this too, don't have money now but I'll find a way if my motor goes. plenty of people wrecking LSx-powered stuff supplying the market with cheap motors and there's about to be a lot more.

What all does it take? pcm, wiring harness and new mounts for ya belt-drive stuff?

the OP said he wanted a tranny too, someone told me there's something special about transmissions in 4wds? is there? or is it just lack of a tailhousing?

I've stuck a smallblock where it didn't belong once, into a v6 gen3 firebird, bunch of little mechanical stupid issues, had to have a driveshaft made, couldnt find a way to make my 700r4 work so I got a th350 but no electronics any more complicated than an hei distrib. I even had a cable-choked holley. I'd guess mechanical stuff won't be as much of a problem here but how do you make the transmission work? aren't all those LS motors electronic throttle control too?

Last edited:

NOFORDS

Reaction score
well, there is lots of need to know info when doing an ls swap in any vehicle. The best way is to have a donor truck. that way you will have the proper tranny and wiring harness needed to make everything jive.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if you are looking to make a tricked out truck, as would be the purpose for dumping in an LS motor, then you would want a better transmission than the 4L60E, or at LEAST beef it up and upgrade it with better disks and servos + shift kit. As far as I know, there is a lot that goes into an LS swap, but it is worthwhile. I know they have a special computer and wiring harness that will need to be installed in your truck along with the engine.

I think chevylee did an LS swap in his truck, but I don't see him post anymore so I don't know what to tell you. I know a lot of folks are doing it nowadays and it is well-worth the effort.