2000-2004 Suburban/Yukon XL questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sawzall

Reaction score
Hello, newbie here.
I'm currently looking at a 3rd full size vehicle for towing and trips only. Looking at something in the 2000-2004 arena ,for pricing, this will be a low highway miles runner (yearly), Suburban/Yukon XL.
I'm not that familar with that class of GMs and am looking for any important info on stuff like, any concerns on certain years, 5.3L vs. 6.0L, when a 3rd seat was available and if that was an option or standard, what are the weak points if I'm looking at taking it to 170-200K plus miles, etc.
Also, is the Suburban and Yukon XL pretty much exactly the same except for some cosmetics?

thanks for any info!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I believe the Suburban/Yukon XL came standard with 3rd row seating if I am not mistaken. You can also opt for the 3/4 ton chassis models if you do some heavy towing, which had an available 8.1L motor that had a lot more torque. Z71 off-road package became an option starting in the 02 model year. In 03, interior styling changed just a bit, tri-zone climate control was added as well as power adjustable pedals and stabilty control. The 'burban and YukonXl are the same, minus some cosmetic differences.
If you are planning to do mainly towing with the truck, try to find one with lower miles that potentially has less wear on the tranny. These trucks will last a while as long as they are properly maintained. And welcome to the site!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the Suburban/Yukon XL came standard with 3rd row seating if I am not mistaken. You can also opt for the 3/4 ton chassis models if you do some heavy towing, which had an available 8.1L motor that had a lot more torque. Z71 off-road package became an option starting in the 02 model year. In 03, interior styling changed just a bit, tri-zone climate control was added as well as power adjustable pedals and stabilty control. The 'burban and YukonXl are the same, minus some cosmetic differences.
If you are planning to do mainly towing with the truck, try to find one with lower miles that potentially has less wear on the tranny. These trucks will last a while as long as they are properly maintained. And welcome to the site!

only difference i have noticed is the headlights and gmc insted of chevy on the grill.

i would look in to an 03 or an 04, better creature comforts and also newer stuff, the xl and suburban have standard 3rd row.

like JK staited teh 3/4 ton models have a standard 6.0 and an optional 8.1 , 8.1 liter are HARD to find, but if you do i would snap one up, i think i have only seen one in person and it was an 06 and they wanted 40k for it.

5.3 vs 6.0 5.3 is 300 hp and 6.0 is 335 hp, i tow happly 6000 pounds of boat in my 5.3 liter, but i have a 4.10 gear ratio, if your gunna tow make sure to get at least 3.73 ratio, but 4.10 is much better for towing. the best tow machine is 8.1 with 4.1 ratio, which gives you 10000 pounds of towing, i think my max is 8000 pounds but im very happy with it.

sawzall

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and the info. I would be towing a trailer somewhere right around 5000 lbs with full tanks, etc.
I'll make the 3.73 my minimum, 4.10 preferable. A 5.3L seems like it will work for us just fine since we aren't planning on upgrading to a 10000 lb trailer any time soon.

Jordan23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'03 is when they updated the interiors.

sawzall

Reaction score
Anyone know what digit the gear ratio is on the VINs?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea dude, 5k pounds, i tow a 6k pound boat full tanks, 6 people, 5.3 4.10 gears, you will be fine.

but, if you think you will ever update trailers before trucks, i would look for a 2500 series with at least the 6.0