2000 Tahoe fuel guage screwed up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rxrevu

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Tahoe with 154,000 miles on it and it has been a very good
vehicle since I bought. The last six months the fuel guage has gone crazy.
I can fill it up and it reads ok. The next day it may read empty. Sometimes
it will show 1/4 tank. It's just aggrevating cause I never know how much fuel
I actually have.
Can someone tell me how to get to the fuel tank to remove and replace the
sending unit? Pictures or diagrams would be appreciated if anyone has them.

stbeverlin

Reaction score
I had this problem previously with my 00 Tahoe. I quit using cheap (read supermarket) gas and started using Chevron or Shell only. I also started using a bottle of Techron every third gas fillup. The erratic gas guage problem went away and didn't return. I
think the cheaper gas was fouling the sending unit in the gas tank. The better gas cleaned it up and allowed it to function better. Just theory, but it worked for me.

flastud904

Reaction score
WOW!!! I'm having the same exact issue as we speak, some guys told me to take it to the dealership because they will have to use a specific scanner to read the instrument cluster to tell me whether its that or a fuel pump issue. He also said that the instrument clusters are known to eventually go bad on GMC/Chevy vehicles. So either way, I know I'm about to get knocked crossed the head for my pockets.

flastud904

Reaction score
I will try what STBEVERLIN said first, and use some better gas, and see if that helps.

shadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 Tahoe with 154,000 miles on it and it has been a very good
vehicle since I bought. The last six months the fuel guage has gone crazy.
I can fill it up and it reads ok. The next day it may read empty. Sometimes
it will show 1/4 tank. It's just aggrevating cause I never know how much fuel
I actually have.
Can someone tell me how to get to the fuel tank to remove and replace the
sending unit? Pictures or diagrams would be appreciated if anyone has them.

Guys -

My guage sender went bad at around 60K miles (5 years or so in age) on my 2000 5.3L also. Dealer did the job as I had an extended warranty on the truck.

I had always used a name brand regular gas and Techron (the pure stuff) at every oil change (3K changes then with Mobil 1).

May want to check this GM gas additive out. Supposed to put a protective film on the fuel system parts.

Passing on, FYI -

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits #05-00-89-078 - (Nov 9, 2005)

2006 and Prior All GM Cars and Trucks

2003-2006 HUMMER H2

2006 HUMMER H3

2006 and Prior Saturn (Canada Only)

2005-2006 Saab 9-7X

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS
GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco�, use 88861013) (in Canada, 88861012), is now available.

Added Benefits and Uses
The PLUS portion of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is the addition of a filmer additive that, when used regularly, can protect fuel system sending units from the corrosive effects of certain sulfur contaminants found in some of today's gasoline.

Sulfur contamination can disrupt electrical continuity of certain fuel sending units and lead to erratic or false fuel gauge readings. With scheduled usage, GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS protects against the effects of harmful sulfurs in gasoline.

You Get Four Benefits
One bottle of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS added to the fuel tank at each oil change:

� Cleans -- Sulfur corrosion from fuel gauge sending units.
� Prevents -- Harmful sulfur components from attacking sensitive fuel system electronics.
� Protects -- By coating metallic surfaces of the fuel system.
� Removes -- Engine deposits left from use of poor quality fuels.

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS will replace the original GM Fuel System Treatment, P/N 12345104 (in Canada, 89020804). The original formula may still be available for a limited time, and provides the excellent Fuel System Cleaning aspects of the new product without the filmer.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco, use 88861013)

(in Canada, 88861012)

GM PARTS DIRECT SITE -
GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS
CATEGORY: Vehicle Care
PACK QTY: 6
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $25.15
OUR PRICE: $14.90