2001 Chevy Tahoe sqeeking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gadabout018

Reaction score
Hello,i have a 2001 chevy tahoe with 120,000. I had a bad squeeking/squelling coming from under the hood, replace the tensioner and ideler pullies, and no help. Took it to a mechanic told me the barrings in the alternater where going out. I replace the altenater and the squealing completly gone when ideling, but when give it gas it squels. I replace the belt about 2 years ago and was just wondering if anyone thought that the belt could be a problem, when i spray belt dressing on it the sqealing gets louder.

Also if it is the water pump, about what is the cost to fix. Thanks alot

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it got louder when the belt was sprayed then it's a belt or load/tension problem.

Belt dressing can help with SOME belt issues but tend to make serpentine belts louder and attract airborne crud into the shallow grooves.

Get a quality belt. Remove old one and spray down the pulleys with break cleaner to remove grease and belt dressing crap or the new belt will quickly become glazed.

CJR2

Reaction score
How often should I replace my belt. I hate to admit that I have 105K on mine:eek2:

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crazy, mine started doing the same thing about 6 months ago, when I had around 130k on it. I can almost guarantee it's the lower belt tensioner - it's a bit of a pain to get off because there is no room down there to turn a ratchet, but it's an easy job. Part was around $60 at NAPA, the only store local that carried the part.

I replace both my belts around every major tuneup. 30-40k or so. They're cheap and easy to replace, and it's a lot better than being stuck on the side of the road waiting for a tow.

gillarockus

Reaction score
mine did a similar thing, it would sqeal under load, ended up being the lower tensioner was worn out, problem was it was stretched so far out it was rubbing on the trans cooler line (this was the sqeal noise), we discovered this when the line started leaking trans fluid, it had actually cut thru the metal line, so after i replaced the tensioner/belt/trans cooler line(rerouted this guy a little) all is well