2003 tahoe spark plug replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmann

Reaction score
I have a 2003 tahoe, 5.3 I want to replace the spark plugs but I do not know how to remove them, do you have to remove the shields, do you just pull on the boot or is there a special tool to pull the wire off the plug. The shield makes it look very dificult. Thanks

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent got around too it yet, but have found some stuff out. There is a spark plug boot puller you can buy. Got mine at NAPA. And then some special sockets to get the actual plugs out. They are padded to avoid damage to the plug. Got those at walmart. And then use some anti seize when you put the new ones on. Got that at NAPA too. Hope this helps! Any more questions, feel free to throw them out there

radkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pull the boot NOT the wires themselves. The plug boot puller is well worth it
1205440482244-151722857.gif

Tahoe7689

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out the first part of the thread
http://www.tahoeforum.com//showthread.php?t=14514

I just wiggled the boots out by hand, and it would be a good idea to replace the wires because chances are they are old or corroded/ rusted to the actual plug. In that case you will need to replace them anyways

notch8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this two nights ago, whatever you do don't buy the 2 dollar plastic oversize tweezer boot puller. Go with the metal plier type there 7 bucks. I had to pull incredibly hard, to the point where it ripped off the heat shield + boot to get at the plugs.

jmann

Reaction score
2003 tahoe spark plug change

When you pull the boot off the plug, does the shield stay or does it come off with the boot? If so do you just leave the heat shield alone, change the plug and put the boot back on? I saw where someone said they pull the shield off along with the boot.:umn::umn: